Resolution weblogic admin console stops responding - Empty server reply

brock...@hotmail.com

Dec 19, 2006, 1:00:02 AM12/19/06
Hi All,

I just resolved this and thought I'd post the solution as there seemed
to be a few others out there with the same issue.

The scenario is this:

Weblogic was installed and working nicely (as it always does!) on my
windows XP laptop and then for no apparent reason the admin console
ceases responding properly to my browser. This would happen about 2
minutes or so after I restarted WLS and hit the console or an app. So I
do a quick check:
- Nothing in the server logs
- no apparent loss of connectivity to localhost (or any other address
WLS was listening on)
- remote WLS admin consoles were still working properly
- using IE or firefox had the same problems
- snooping the HTTP headers via the browser didn't help - it showed
everything working properly until it stopped working, then nothing
- telnet to WLS and dropping the GET request didn't show anything
- firing my own GET from a perl script returned "200 EOF" as the
response
- using weblogic.Admin shows the following error

D:\opt\bea\weblogic92\server\lib>java -cp weblogic.jar weblogic.Admin
-url t3://localhost:7001 -username weblogic -password *********
GETSTATE

Failed to connect to t3://localhost:7001: Destination unreachable;
nested exception is:
java.io.IOException: Empty server reply; No available router to
destination

I tried a XP system restore point which didn't help and a few other
uninstalls etc none of which made any difference. One of the BEA
Professional Services guys told me it might be the LSP stack and showed
a freebie called LSP-Fix which lets you remove bad Winsock libs.

Basically there should be NTDS, network location awareness and the
protocol handler and if you have others then they MIGHT be the culprit.
I ditched the one that was on top of the stack and it worked however
make sure you know what you are doing before removing anything!!! If
you cook the winsock stack you might be stuck in safe mode for the rest
of the life of the OS.

My crappy client was installed by a ActiveX control on a work related
web page, so you can't be too careful with what gets installed....

Cheers

Brock