Accessing a file folder and files inside the fire wall from an external web server

1 view

sur...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2006, 10:44:59 AM9/26/06
Hello Weblogic Gurus,

I am trying to seek to accomplish the following:

We have two Weblogic webservers. One is sitting outside the firewall
and is configured on https protocol. The second one sits inside the
firewall configured on http protocol. The webserver inside the firewall
has a file folder in which we are posting daily reports.

Internally, I can access the file using a URL similar to this one
http://xxx.xx.xxxx:nnnn/reports/20060926/abc.xls

I would like the users connecting to the web server outside the
firewall to be able to access these files and nothing else.

How can I do it without breaching security?

It may be a lame question but I am not very familiar with web servers
in general.

Thanks in advance for your solutions/advice/pointers/to-do.

sti...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2006, 2:39:58 PM9/30/06

sur...@gmail.com skrev:

Dear sir,

There are numerous ways to go around this problem.

Solution 1 - slow - if you absolutely have to use your two websevers
- configure the firewall to only take requests from the ip of the
external webserver - and let the external webserver call through the
firewall to http://xxx.xx.xxxx:nnnn/reports/20060926/abc.xls and
relay the answer to the requester... Not completely safe since the
external
webserver can be compromized... But better than nothing.

Solution 2 - my preferred - forget the external webserver - use an
intelligent
router behind the firewall - like 'BlueCoat' which I've worked with -
which
contains a regular expression filtering away requests to anything else
than
http://xxx.xx.xxxx:nnnn/reports/20060926/abc.xls . Configure firewall
to send incoming requests to the router (Bluecoat) and let
the router handle the security - fast! The intelligent router may
handle SSL
for you also...

It's the combination of software and hardware which gives effective
security!

/www.seniorconsultant.co.uk