Remote Desktop

Johanna Roussel

Jul 8, 2016, 11:54:50 AM7/8/16
to weblabdeusto
Hello,

how to use the Remote Desktop within weblab deusto?
I found http://freerdp.net/ to embed the remote desktop into the browser. But didn't try it yet.
Do you have any experience?

Best,
Hanna

Pablo Orduña

Jul 8, 2016, 2:10:39 PM7/8/16
to weblab...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Not much, unfortunately. The main problem we found in Remote Desktop is on how to secure the connections for people not to do "anything" in the shared computer. We saw people in the remote labs area sharing only one screen with certain tools but then you could click on help -> file -> explorer and open the whole computer. We considered Virtual Machines for that (since you can reset to a snapshot), but sometimes the access to hardware is not available in VMs (while it would still be useful if it's only for accessing certain editors).

But no, we in Deusto have never used it in production. You have some docs here:

While this might not directly help you (whatever related to VirtualBox), the code for changing passwords etc. in Windows environments or in Linux for RDP/VNC could be helpful:

The VirtualBox management code was here (3.0 I think):

Best,

Pablo Orduña ( http://morelab.deusto.es/p/pablo-orduna/ )
MORElab - Envisioning Future Internet (http://morelab.deusto.es)
WebLab-Deusto - (http://weblab.deusto.es)