XML-RPC

Johanna Roussel

Jun 20, 2016, 8:36:55 AM6/20/16
to weblabdeusto
Hey!

I'm wondering if there is a reason why XML-RPC is used as communication instead of e. g. REST?

Best,
Hanna

Pablo Orduña

Jun 20, 2016, 10:51:46 AM6/20/16
to weblab...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We did that in 2009, and we're keeping backwards compatibility. One year ago we had a much more complex mechanism for the internal network, but we reduced it so as to support a simple HTTP schema which is indeed the one used by default in the WebLab-Deusto internal communications. The only problem is that the Laboratory Server still requires some complex structures that we want to remove, but in the meanwhile it does not support HTTP+JSON but only HTTP+pickle (a Python-dependant format for complex structures).

Is it a problem managing XML-RPC? If you think it would be easier to manage HTTP+JSON (not exactly REST, but similar) we could prioritize that dependance removal or finding a way around, but it might anyway take few weeks (we're quite overloaded right now).

Best,

Pablo Orduña ( http://morelab.deusto.es/p/pablo-orduna/ )
MORElab - Envisioning Future Internet (http://morelab.deusto.es)
WebLab-Deusto - (http://weblab.deusto.es)

Johanna Roussel

Jun 20, 2016, 11:27:18 AM6/20/16
to weblabdeusto
Hey!

No I think it's not a problem - I was just wondering if there is a specific advantage using XML-RPC (because I thought it is out-dated) :) But backwards compatibility makes sense.

Best,
Hanna