Integrating applications to run more natively

Jake

Oct 20, 2011, 10:47:58 PM10/20/11
to webian
I like the idea of using web technologies to create the GUI, I think
they could make it way easier for creating traditionally natively run
applications such as a browser. I am just wondering if anyone knows
how actually integrating powerful low-level languages could be done.
For example could there be a way to write a GUI for a program like
SketchUp, and place a canvas for the modelling area. Or are there some
interoperability issues which will prevent this from ever being
possible, even if run entirely native? Or is it already possible with
webGL?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Jake

Ben Francis

Oct 21, 2011, 9:38:53 AM10/21/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

Web technology is moving fast and web apps can already do most things native mobile or desktop apps can do. Accelerated 2D & 3D graphics, audio, video, geolocation, offline functionality...

Something like Sketchup could indeed be written in JavaScript using WebGL.

Running native applications written in non-web standard languages is outside of the scope of the Webian project.

Ben
--
Ben Francis
http://tola.me.uk