Webian and Chromeless 1.0

Captain Calliope

Jun 25, 2011, 10:38:28 PM6/25/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
It may be a bit early in the conversation, but I'd like to know more about how Lloyd's roadmap proposal for Chromless 1.0 (http://trickyco.de/the-road-to-chromeless-1.0) might impact Webian's nearterm development. I think this will help in establishing what's within the scope of building Webian's roadmap and what is outside it because Chromeless has it covered.

-CC

Ben Francis

Jun 30, 2011, 6:38:09 PM6/30/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
This is a very good question,

I think the increased test coverage, documentation, API review and better debugging can only help developers working on Shell.

The distributed development approach will be great for implementing modules for Shell which wouldn't be useful for most (desktop app) projects which use Chromeless.

The improvements for Web Content Embedding are absolutely essential (for Shell bugs currently scheduled for the next release). Things seemed to have slowed down a little recently with commits to Chromeless but maybe there are things we can do to help with these blocker bugs?

I don't think the size optimisations are really essential but depending on how it's implemented, an application update feature could be used to update Shell itself.

The ability to use a "shared runtime" could be very important if we want to use a packaged version of XULRunner and create a package for Shell.

As for better communications about Chromeless, what's good for Chromeless is good for Shell!

Ben