data preprocessing for webgl earth

Martin Landa

Nov 6, 2013, 4:42:31 AM11/6/13
to webgl...@googlegroups.com
Dear devs,

I would like to create my own virtual globe using webGL Earth (being newbie in this field). Is there any step-by-step manual how to preprocess own data (texture) for webGL Earth. I got VRML and unreferenced texture as JPG. I guess that texture file need to be georeferenced and processed into tiles for virtual globe, right? Thanks for any pointers in advance! Best regards, Martin

Martin Landa

Nov 7, 2013, 5:40:03 AM11/7/13
to webgl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

in other words, is it possible to use texture which is not georeferenced? I would like to create a simple virtual globe based on vrml file and non-georeferenced texture file (jpg/tif). Any tips?

Martin

Petr Pridal

Nov 14, 2013, 11:32:37 AM11/14/13
to webgl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

the texture must be georeferenced - and easiest is to create the Google Maps / OSM-like Mercator tiles out of it - normally with something like http://www.maptiler.com/ or the open-source GDAL2Tiles.

Then it is easy to create a virtual globe running even offline, here is an example:

(you have to open it via http:// protocol on localhost instead of file:// protocol).

With a bit of coding a single image in unprojected or tiles in unprojected would run too.

We can also send you a preview of the WebGL Earth 2.0 with several fixes and improvements.

Best regards,

Petr

Aleksander Yanovskiy

Dec 21, 2013, 11:16:58 AM12/21/13
to webgl...@googlegroups.com

We can also send you a preview of the WebGL Earth 2.0 with several fixes and improvements.
Hi Petr,

Does it mean that WebGL Earth 2.0 is still under development but you don't push changes to github until final release ?

Sincerely,
Aleksander

Petr Pridal

Jul 5, 2014, 3:39:33 AM7/5/14
to webgl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aleksander,

WebGL Earth was always on github - in the branch new_api on the webglearth repository.

Now we have moved it to:

Petr

Sean de Basti

Nov 24, 2014, 4:18:42 AM11/24/14
to webgl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Petr,

Are there any updates about the offline usage of webgl? I saw your post here and at Github where I asked also, how it is possible to access offline tiles on webgl.
Is the example you posted here (offline.zip) still working, because the offline.html isnt working (google yes) but it has a opportunity includes while using TMS. Is it working for you and if yes do you have a guess what I have to change in the short code of my screenshot at Github?

Thanks
PS great work in the cesium ol3map! :)

Petr Pridal

Jan 27, 2015, 9:32:50 PM1/27/15