Mac 'graphics driver reset' causing 'Aw Snap' response

Bob Blaine

Nov 9, 2022, 10:24:42 AM11/9/22
to WebGL Dev List
Hi,

I'm struggling to reproduce this outside of our rather entangled JavaScript, but thought I'd ask about it in case it's a known problem or someone here might be able to provide some insight. I haven't seen anything mentioned here(or on the web for that matter) about it.

We've been seeing a crash on the first attempt to update our WebGL graphics after what appears to me to be a driver reset - initiated by either changing the screen resolution or unplugging an external monitor. This happens on a MacBook Pro and we haven't been able to reproduce it elsewhere.

Where it crashes probably makes sense, when we make a call to copyTexImage2D to capture drawn layers of the frame for reuse. This happens after a number of WebGL calls have been made.

At no time do we get a webglcontextlost or does isContextLost return true. We are, however drawing to an offscreen canvas outside of a requestAnimationFrame callback when it occurs.

Any insight on possible ways to avoid this crash would be appreciated. we've worked around it for now by just not doing the texture copy. If I can figure out how to reproduce it, I will file a bug report.

Thanks,
Bob

Ken Russell

Nov 9, 2022, 6:41:46 PM11/9/22
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

Since this sounds like it's in Chrome from the mention of "Aw, snap", if you could please go to about:crashes in a new tab and post any uploaded crash IDs here, we can look it up in the crash database and file bugs based on the stack trace.

-Ken