xeokit 2.4 released, with data texture geometry and GPU-accelerated vertex/edge snapping

Lindsay Kay

Oct 29, 2023, 4:51:21 PM10/29/23
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi group!

This week we released xeokit-sdk v2.4 (beta), our open source WebGL-based SDK for creating model viewing apps in construction and engineering.

In this update, there are a couple of features in particular that WebGL developers here might find interesting:

1. Data texture-based model representation - The viewer has the option to store model representations in GPU memory as data textures. Thanks to WebGL2's ability to randomly index textures in the vertex shader, we can reuse a lot of geometry info, keeping the memory usage super low even for large models. This also includes an "index bucketing" technique that minimizes the number of bits used for geometry indices.

2. GPU-accelerated vertex and edge snapping - The viewer also has a GPU-accelerated mode where the pointer snaps to the nearest vertex or edge when picking objects with mouse or touch input. This allows our users to easily make precise measurements on their models. This technique scales up smoothly to hundreds of thousands of objects, maybe even millions, and is way faster than nearest-neighbour searches ie. using k-d trees etc.

Major props to Toni Marti, one of our core xeokit SDK developers, for developing these two techniques. I think the snapping technique is particularly fresh, I've never heard of anything like that before.

Please find more information and demos, with links to Toni's presentation of his techniques, in our release notes:

https://www.notion.so/xeokit/What-s-new-in-xeokit-2-4-beta-928f601e9c024fa69db56a82c66efe55