Chrome rendering issue on MBP 2019 w/ OpenGL ANGLE backend

Oleksandr Popov

Apr 17, 2023, 9:14:56 AM4/17/23
to WebGL Dev List
Hello,

Unfortunately almost any of our WebGL demos are broken on Chrome on 2019 Macbook Pro if default OpenGL+Radeon ANGLE backend is used.

Voxel airplanes is no exception, I've reported a bug here https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1433650

It seems to be the same issue I've reported in August 2022.

However, this time I've noticed one peculiar thing about this bug. If I take screenshot using Chrome dev tools, it is correct. Only on-screen image is broken.
I hope this information will help to narrow down the problem.

Best regards,
   Oleksandr

Ken Russell

Apr 25, 2023, 8:22:58 PM4/25/23
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oleksandr,

Thanks for filing the bug - I just triaged it. All of our effort's going into shipping ANGLE's Metal backend ASAP, which will implicitly fix this problem, but please see the bug for more updates.

-Ken

Oleksandr Popov

Apr 26, 2023, 3:08:24 AM4/26/23
to WebGL Dev List
Hello Ken,

Thank you for looking into it! Not sure if I will find time to create a minimal reproducible example this week - got some crunch at work and have to work even on weekends...
But I'm perfectly fine with Google fixing the issue by deprecating OGL ANGLE backend and using Metal one instead.

Best regards,
   Oleksandr