WebGL2 on edge xbox

Martin

Nov 30, 2021, 6:58:43 AM11/30/21
to WebGL Dev List
Hi,

microsoft released edge browser for xbox a bit ago. I've tried to run my WebGL2 app in the edge browser without luck, i cannot get a working  WebGL2  context. Running shadertoy demos works without problems. Since xbox (one) supports directx 12 I wonder why there is no WebGL2 support - searched the web for more info but nothing there.

kind regards, Martin

Ken Russell

Nov 30, 2021, 2:26:22 PM11/30/21
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com, Rafael Cintron
I wonder whether +Rafael Cintron, our WebGL colleague from Microsoft, might know?

-Ken

Rafael Cintron

Nov 30, 2021, 3:03:49 PM11/30/21
to Ken Russell, webgl-d...@googlegroups.com

Unfortunately, Edge running on Xbox only supports WebGL 1.  Even though the machine itself can do high feature levels, apps like Edge are restricted to lower feature levels which cannot run WebGL 2.

--Rafael

Ken Russell

Nov 30, 2021, 3:38:16 PM11/30/21
to Rafael Cintron, webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for replying, Rafael. Any possibility of putting in a feature request to allow at least Edge to access higher D3D feature levels? It's a pity to limit the web to a restricted feature set.

-Ken

Rafael Cintron

Dec 2, 2021, 7:22:50 PM12/2/21
to Ken Russell, webgl-d...@googlegroups.com

Since the Edge application on Xbox is allowed to run simultaneously (and right next to) your running game, it’s allowed a limited set of capabilities so that the game’s performance is not compromised.

For Xbox Series X/S, the minimum feature level for D3D11 is FL11 so WebGL 2 should definitely work.

For Xbox One, the minimum feature level is 10_0.  WebGL 2 requires FL 10_1.

I’ve put in a feature request to raise the minimum on Xbox One to FL10_1 .