Cool WebGL stuff, 2020-09-24

Ken Russell

Oct 1, 2020, 2:15:57 PM10/1/20
to WebGL Dev List
Dear WebGL community,

Cool stuff from around the web, as discovered by Khronos' WebGL working group.

Enjoy, and please share your own creations and findings!

-Ken

P.S. Also archived at https://gfxprose.blogspot.com/2020/09/cool-webgl-stuff-2020-09-24.html .

--
I support flexible work schedules, and I’m sending this email now because it is within the hours I’m working today.  Please do not feel obliged to reply straight away - I understand that you will reply during the hours you work, which may not match mine. (credit: jparent@)

timvansch...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2020, 4:15:12 AM10/16/20
to WebGL Dev List
Thanks Ken these are great!

I've released v2.0.0 of my open-source library Detect-GPU today which classifies GPU's based on their 3D rendering benchmark score allowing the developer to provide sensible default settings for graphically intensive applications. Think of it like a user-agent detection for the GPU but more powerful.

Keen to hear what you all think: https://github.com/TimvanScherpenzeel/detect-gpu

Kind regards,

Tim

Ken Russell

Oct 19, 2020, 6:35:42 PM10/19/20
to WebGL Dev List
Hi Tim,

Nice work on your performance detection library! Trying to bucket GPUs according to performance characteristics is a difficult problem. The WebGL working group tried to standardize similar APIs years ago but had to abandon the effort. Browsers run on too large a variety of hardware to have an a priori notion of the performance of every GPU type. The group investigated doing run-time benchmarks similar to those Windows Vista did when determining whether to use Aero mode. Unfortunately the performance variation of any GPU benchmark built into the browser would be too large depending on what else the user was doing. Note that Microsoft ultimately abandoned their own graphics performance benchmarks in later versions of Windows - even those ran before the system enabled other applications to run, and should have had reasonably stable performance.

It'll be interesting to see whether your approach of indexing well-known benchmark results by GPU type offers sufficient coverage. Please keep the community posted!

-Ken