I updated the WebFinger server software on Packetizer. The code now implements only RC 7033 (dropping support for RFC 6415). I also use the Perl JSON package to serialize the JSON object. With these changes, I think the code much less cluttered and perhaps more suitable as a reference implementation.
If you're using the older software, the only database change I made was the removal of the "template" column in the webfinger_links table. The config file was simplified a bit (removing stuff we don't need any longer).
PS - I am still running both the host-meta and WebFinger server running on packetizer.com
, so don't be surprised if both queries work. The new WebFinger server code will not service host-meta queries.