Renaming the "resource" parameter

Paul E. Jones

Feb 7, 2013, 3:48:14 PM2/7/13
to webf...@ietf.org, webf...@googlegroups.com

Folks,

In the most recent round of edits (I hope to publish tomorrow) I made a pass through the text to try to use the word “resource” or “WebFinger resource” rather than “WebFinger server” where it made sense.  (“Server” is still used, but hopefully only when speaking of the web server itself.)

But, as I did that, I noticed that in at least one place the word “resource” (referring to the parameter that gets passed in) seemed to make the text confusing.  I put quotes around “resource” when I’m referring to the parameter.

The question is this: should we rename the “resource” parameter to something else?

SWD used “principal” and the JRD uses the term “subject”.  I think either of those would work as alternatives.

Or, shall we continue with “resource”?  I think it’s worded so that it’s not confusing now, but I’m probably a poor judge of that since I know is meant.

Paul

Tim Bray

Feb 7, 2013, 3:53:09 PM2/7/13
to Paul E. Jones, webf...@ietf.org, webf...@googlegroups.com
“resource” is fine. -T

Brad Fitzpatrick

Feb 7, 2013, 3:53:11 PM2/7/13
to webf...@googlegroups.com, webf...@ietf.org
I like "subject".

I dislike "principal".

I also don't really care.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Paul E. Jones <pau...@packetizer.com> wrote:

--

---

Gonzalo Salgueiro

Feb 7, 2013, 3:59:42 PM2/7/13
to Paul E. Jones, webf...@ietf.org, webf...@googlegroups.com
At this point "resource" is cemented in my mind as the name for the parameter. My preference is to stick with it. Using quotes seems a sufficient clarification of its usage as a parameter.

Gonzalo

Mike Jones

Feb 7, 2013, 10:30:31 PM2/7/13
to Gonzalo Salgueiro, Paul E. Jones, webf...@ietf.org, webf...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't rename it at this point "resource" is fine.

-- Mike

Paul E. Jones

Feb 8, 2013, 10:00:32 AM2/8/13
to Evan Prodromou, webf...@ietf.org, webf...@googlegroups.com

Ok, we’ll leave the parameter name alone.