How does webfinger handle a user with more than one blog?

Melvin Carvalho

Jul 28, 2013, 12:28:05 PM7/28/13
to webf...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking at

[[

 For example, the server might return information about a person's blog

]]

This is written in the singular.  If a user has two different blogs, can webfinger handle that, it seemed unclear from the spec.

If so, how would you represent it?

Nick Jennings

Jul 28, 2013, 12:33:32 PM7/28/13
to webfinger
Hi Melvin,

 I believe you can just have multiple entries for a blog, for example in my WF document [1] I have:

{
  "subject": "acct:ni...@silverbucket.net",
  "links": [
    {
      "rel": "http://packetizer.com/rel/blog",
      "href": "http://blog.silverbucket.net"
    },
  ]
}
And I think you could simply add another record for another blog.

--

---

Melvin Carvalho

Jul 28, 2013, 12:46:13 PM7/28/13
to webf...@googlegroups.com
On 28 July 2013 18:33, Nick Jennings <ni...@silverbucket.net> wrote:
Hi Melvin,

 I believe you can just have multiple entries for a blog, for example in my WF document [1] I have:

{
  "subject": "acct:ni...@silverbucket.net",
  "links": [
    {
      "rel": "http://packetizer.com/rel/blog",
      "href": "http://blog.silverbucket.net"
    },
  ]
}
And I think you could simply add another record for another blog.

Thanks I think I have the relevant text:

[[
   The order of elements in the "links" array indicates an order of
   preference.  Thus, if there are two or more link relations having the
   same "rel" value, the first link relation would indicate the user's
   preferred link.
]]

By the way I think you have the wrong @type in your profile, it should be a media type, not a URI

Nick Jennings

Jul 28, 2013, 12:52:46 PM7/28/13
to webfinger
On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvinc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks I think I have the relevant text:

[[
   The order of elements in the "links" array indicates an order of
   preference.  Thus, if there are two or more link relations having the
   same "rel" value, the first link relation would indicate the user's
   preferred link.
]]

Nice.

By the way I think you have the wrong @type in your profile, it should be a media type, not a URI

You mean in my remoteStorage section? I'm not sure, I just copied that from my storage provider a while back.

Melvin Carvalho

Jul 28, 2013, 1:07:37 PM7/28/13
to webf...@googlegroups.com
On 28 July 2013 18:52, Nick Jennings <ni...@silverbucket.net> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvinc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks I think I have the relevant text:

[[
   The order of elements in the "links" array indicates an order of
   preference.  Thus, if there are two or more link relations having the
   same "rel" value, the first link relation would indicate the user's
   preferred link.
]]

Nice.

By the way I think you have the wrong @type in your profile, it should be a media type, not a URI

You mean in my remoteStorage section? I'm not sure, I just copied that from my storage provider a while back.

From the spec

[[

 The "type" member is a string indicating what the media type of the result of dereferencing the link ought to be.

]]

Also is it valid to have a properties section INSIDE of links, I was under the impression that properties and links were separate arrays.

Nick Jennings

Jul 28, 2013, 1:12:40 PM7/28/13
to webfinger
On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvinc...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 28 July 2013 18:52, Nick Jennings <ni...@silverbucket.net> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvinc...@gmail.com> wrote:

By the way I think you have the wrong @type in your profile, it should be a media type, not a URI

You mean in my remoteStorage section? I'm not sure, I just copied that from my storage provider a while back.

From the spec

[[

 The "type" member is a string indicating what the media type of the result of dereferencing the link ought to be.

]]

I see, it's quite possible that the properties remoteStorage uses have fallen out of alignment with the spec. Though I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject?

Melvin Carvalho

Jul 28, 2013, 2:33:21 PM7/28/13
to webf...@googlegroups.com
On 28 July 2013 19:12, Nick Jennings <ni...@silverbucket.net> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvinc...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 28 July 2013 18:52, Nick Jennings <ni...@silverbucket.net> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvinc...@gmail.com> wrote:

By the way I think you have the wrong @type in your profile, it should be a media type, not a URI

You mean in my remoteStorage section? I'm not sure, I just copied that from my storage provider a while back.

From the spec

[[

 The "type" member is a string indicating what the media type of the result of dereferencing the link ought to be.

]]

I see, it's quite possible that the properties remoteStorage uses have fallen out of alignment with the spec. Though I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject?

I like the idea of nesting properties.  Although it's fine in the JSON, it's not clear from the spec whether JRD allows it, forbids it, or is neutral.  Perhaps Paul can clarify on this.

However, irrespective of that, I think properties SHOULD be an array.

Also is it valid to have a properties section INSIDE of links, I was under the impression that properties and links were separate arrays.

Paul E. Jones

Jul 28, 2013, 11:58:18 PM7/28/13
to webf...@googlegroups.com

Melvin,

Yeah, that’s no problem.  Links are in an array and it’s possible for more than one link to use the same link relation type.  Further, the order of elements in the links array indicates an order of preference (if there is a preference).

Paul