Re: [webfinger] Is application/json an acceptable content type for JRDs?

Melvin Carvalho

Oct 12, 2013, 6:40:40 PM10/12/13
to Eric Mill, webf...@ietf.org, webf...@googlegroups.com

On 13 October 2013 00:28, Eric Mill <er...@konklone.com> wrote:
I've been reading through the Webfinger spec, and it uses application/jrd+json in all the examples, and describes the media type it's registering -- but it never says whether or not a server using application/json as a content type should fail or not.

I could potentially see some servers wishing to use application/json, so that applications that are used for all kinds of JSON manipulation, like JSONView, could properly pick up on it.

My interpretation is that the server must set Mime Type application/jrd+json if it's serving JRD, which is the only mandatory serialization.  Previously there was an XML format (XRD) which is still in use in some places.

-- Eric

Will Norris

Oct 12, 2013, 7:56:44 PM10/12/13
to Eric Mill, webf...@googlegroups.com, webf...@ietf.org
reading through some of the list archive (such as http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/webfinger/current/msg00395.html and the rest of that thread), leads me to say that you *really* should use the correct mime type.  I agree that for clients they probably should not fail on application/json, but I certainly wouldn't rely on that behavior as a publisher.  I wonder how hard it would be to get JSONView updated to accept application/*+json in addition to application/json?

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Eric Mill <er...@konklone.com> wrote:
So if I'm writing a client, and I get an application/json Content Type, it should fail? Since the spec doesn't seem to explicitly mandate this, and the content *is* valid JSON, this seems a bit restrictive to me.

--

---