Fwd: Yahoo to reuse email addresses - re: Identifier persistence

Melvin Carvalho

Jun 20, 2013, 6:48:29 PM6/20/13
to webf...@googlegroups.com
This is quite an interesting point.  Perhaps webfinger records could have a created date field...

Jun 20, 2013, 11:45:59 PM6/20/13
to Peter Saint-Andre, webf...@googlegroups.com

On 21 June 2013 04:07, Peter Saint-Andre <stp...@stpeter.im> wrote:

Yes, interesting.

But wouldn't the same be true of, say, HTTP URIs or any other URIs?

Yes, absolutely!

Tim wrote a note about this called "Cool URIs dont change"

http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

"The creation date of the document - the date the URI is issued - is one thing which will not change. It is very useful for separating requests which use a new system from those which use an old system. That is one thing with which it is good to start a URI. If a document is in any way dated, even though it will be of interest for generations, then the date is a good starter."

Ideally URIs should remain persistent.  But sometimes they are not in practice, of course.

On 6/20/13 4:48 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> This is quite an interesting point.  Perhaps webfinger records
> could have a created date field...
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: *Tim Berners-Lee*
> <ti...@w3.org <mailto:ti...@w3.org>> Date: 20 June 2013 23:53

> Subject: Yahoo to reuse email addresses - re: Identifier
> persistence To: TAG List <www...@w3.org <mailto:www...@w3.org>>

> As email addresses become increasingly the grounding point for
> identity on the net, interesting to ask whether we should be
> expecting some standards of persistence ...  or should we be always
> quoting them with a date?
>
> Timbl
>

>> """Yahoo tells security critics to chillax regarding its email
> recycling program
>>
>> So much for trying to be nice. Yahoo’s latest bid to lift itself
>> from
> the tech also-ran swamp with an email recycling initiative has
> been criticized for potential security threats to dormant users. To
> try and calm down the pitchfork-wielding crowd, the company has
> released a statement describing various security measures that will
> be taken to insure past users’ data and security—but they may not
> cover all the bases."""
>>

> http://www.techhive.com/article/2042508/yahoo-tells-security-critics-to-chillax-regarding-its-email-recycling-program.html
>
>  --

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

Paul E. Jones

Jun 25, 2013, 1:09:14 AM6/25/13
to webf...@googlegroups.com

Melvin,

Records had them in early drafts (the “expires” field), but that was removed since HTTP has headers that serve the same purpose.

Paul