How to implement method chaining of Selenium multiple WebDriverWait in Python

Debanjan Bhattacharjee

Dec 3, 2018, 4:06:22ā€ÆAM12/3/18
to webdriver
Hi All,

I am looking to implementĀ method chainingĀ of Selenium WebDriverWaits.

To start with, this block of code implementing a singleĀ WebDriverWaitsĀ works perfect:

from selenium import webdriver
from selenium.webdriver.support.ui import WebDriverWait

options = webdriver.ChromeOptions()
options.add_argument("start-maximized")
options.add_argument('disable-infobars')
driver = webdriver.Chrome(chrome_options=options, executable_path=r'C:\Utility\BrowserDrivers\chromedriver.exe')
driver.get('https://www.facebook.com')
element = WebDriverWait(driver, 5).until(lambda x: x.find_element_by_xpath("//input[@id='email']"))
element.send_keys("method_chaining")

As per as my current requirement I have to implement chaining of twoĀ WebDriverWaitĀ instances as the idea is to fetch the element returned from the first WebDriverWait as an input to the (chained) secondĀ WebDriverWaits.

To achieve this, I followed the discussion method chaining in python function throughĀ method chainingĀ using Pipe - Python library to use infix notation in Python

Here is my code trial:

from pipe import *
from selenium import webdriver
from selenium.webdriver.support.ui import WebDriverWait
from selenium.webdriver.common.by import By
from selenium.webdriver.support import expected_conditions as EC

options = webdriver.ChromeOptions()
options.add_argument("start-maximized")
options.add_argument('disable-infobars')
driver = webdriver.Chrome(chrome_options=options, executable_path=r'C:\WebDrivers\chromedriver.exe')
driver.get('https://www.facebook.com')
element = WebDriverWait(driver,15).until((lambda driver: driver.find_element_by_xpath("//input[@id='email']"))
        | where(lambda driver: driver.find_element_by_css_selector("table[role='presentation']")))
element.send_keys("method_chaining")
I am seeing an error as:

DevTools listening on ws://127.0.0.1:52456/devtools/browser/e09c1d5e-35e3-4c00-80eb-cb642fa273ad
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Soma Bhattacharjee\Desktop\Debanjan\PyPrograms\python_pipe_example.py", line 24, in <module>
    | where(lambda driver: driver.find_elements(By.CSS_SELECTOR,"table[role='presentation']")))
  File "C:\Python\lib\site-packages\pipe.py", line 58, in __ror__
    return self.function(other)
  File "C:\Python\lib\site-packages\pipe.py", line 61, in <lambda>
    return Pipe(lambda x: self.function(x, *args, **kwargs))
  File "C:\Python\lib\site-packages\pipe.py", line 271, in where
    return (x for x in iterable if (predicate(x)))
TypeError: 'function' object is not iterable
Followed the following discussions:

Still no clue what I am missing.

Can someone guide me where I am going wrong?

Thanks in advanced.
Debanjan

PS: This question is cross posted inĀ selenium-users Google Group.