Release coming soon and charging for Webconverger

Kai Hendry

May 17, 2016, 3:31:18 AM5/17/16
to webc-users
Hi guys,

I've been earnestly working on a new release which you can sample here:
http://build.webconverger.org/latest.iso

It should work a LOT better on newer machines. Though I still have not
got around to doing UEFI support yet. There should be "35".

Going into the future, I really want to spend more time on Webconverger
otherwise I feel it will fade away. I know there are about 6000 machines
using it every month and if I could consistently raise ~4000USD a month
to keep me employed, Webconverger would be in a much better place.

Therefore I plan to be making changes to Webconverger so that if you
want to use the configuration service, you need to do some of payment
authorisation whilst subscribing to a ~10USD a month plan (there will be
30 day trial, but you still need a credit card). IIUC I can't do
recurring payments with Bitcoin, so you will need some sort of credit
card. However with bitcoin I plan to setup some sort of one off payment
flow.

These proposed changes will only affect new signups at first. Old
signups are encouraged to opt in and you can do that right now by
clicking Subscribe next to your machine in the configuration panel.

https://youtu.be/hqt66LOuuJE?t=122

Of course you can use Webconverger without the configuration service &
therefore without a need to make payment, whereby you will get the
privacy & security, but just not the customisation & support.

If you guys have any better advice how to make a living from an
opensource project, please let me know!

Kind regards,