UNABLE TO BOOT WC 23

rod N

Feb 14, 2014, 12:53:12 AM2/14/14
to webc-...@googlegroups.com

Hi stumbled onto this google service, posting here in case anyone can help. I have selected both 486 and 686 installs. Attached screen when it just stops and goes no further. I have two pcs (one core 2 the other i5 both with gigabyte mbs) with two different video cards (both nvidia). I get the same on both pcs with both cards installed. The usb stick is 8gb sandisk cruzer. I have tried it on a core 2 dell laptop as well, same deal. So it must be a user lack of iq issue. I have seen the command line option but would not know what to change. Does anyone have any clues?? thanks in advance. rod
ps from other posts should i try wc22 or 20??

rod N

Feb 14, 2014, 12:54:56 AM2/14/14
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
PPS no hdd on either pc. Assume not needed if booting from usb stick.

Kai Hendry

Feb 14, 2014, 12:57:58 AM2/14/14
to webc-users
Hi there Rod, could you please append "nonvidia" to the boot options to see if that makes a difference.

Here is an example of how to append to the boot options http://webconverger.org/testing/

Nvidia support is admittedly broken. https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/issues/184

Kind regards,

rod N

Feb 14, 2014, 4:26:14 AM2/14/14
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, hen...@webconverger.com
Kai many thanks for the reponse. I tried the nonvidia and it did not work. The laptop also had an nvidia card so maybe i will try another old laptop but this time i will see what video card is installed. appreciate the support. Rod

Kai Hendry

Feb 14, 2014, 4:36:16 AM2/14/14
to webc-users
On 14 February 2014 17:26, rod N <777...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kai many thanks for the reponse. I tried the nonvidia and it did not work.
> The laptop also had an nvidia card so maybe i will try another old laptop
> but this time i will see what video card is installed. appreciate the

Try passing "debug" on the command line:
http://webconverger.org/debug/

You should see where the kernel got stuck then.

Kind regards,

in...@valuco.nl

Feb 18, 2014, 5:54:48 AM2/18/14
to webc-...@googlegroups.com

Similar problem here, booting up and the screen below flashes for a short second.

Then the 'normal' booting with the yellow bar starts, after that the screen below appears again and nothing happens.

Tried already with the 'nonvidea' and 'debug' options added to the boot, no differences.

Also tried it with a USB stick (16GB sandisk cruzer) and a OCZ SSD (60GB, SATA)

Hardware is the new Intel NUC: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-board-dn2820fykh.html

Kai Hendry

Feb 18, 2014, 6:09:21 AM2/18/14
to webc-users
First thanks for following up!

I wonder if it's related to:

I should use this as an excuse to upgrade my older NUC ... http://webconverger.org/blog/entry/Next_Unit_of_Computing/

Will ask around. I wonder if rod, the initial poster had the same hardware.

You could please try http://build.webconverger.org/ which has a slightly new kernel:

Kind regards,

in...@valuco.nl

Feb 18, 2014, 7:14:38 AM2/18/14
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, hen...@webconverger.com
Just tried your build a89d449 version.
Now i get a firmware error together with the original error, also provider a debug output in the screens below.
Hope this helps to finding the problem.

Kai Hendry

Feb 18, 2014, 7:56:00 AM2/18/14
to in...@valuco.nl, webc-users
Thanks! I think this is clue for me to update the firmware / microcode packages.

Could you please try:

The md5sum is:
c608d71d1a47a9879924b1eda8e8d0ad  microcode.iso

Looking forward to your reply,

in...@valuco.nl

Feb 18, 2014, 9:00:09 AM2/18/14
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, in...@valuco.nl

And another screen dump :)

Kai Hendry

Feb 18, 2014, 9:04:59 AM2/18/14
to webc-users
Your last screenshot doesn't look any different to your previous one?

i.e. gets stuck on "failed to load intel-ucode/06-37-03..."

Did you try update the BIOS as Arstechnica suggest?

Kind regards,

in...@valuco.nl

Feb 18, 2014, 9:55:19 AM2/18/14
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, hen...@webconverger.com
Just to be sure i wrote the image again to the SSD.
The firmware version i'm running is 0025, just updated this in the weekend.

Below the exact firmware version and the screen dump from the microcode.iso boot i just started.
It's the debug screen of the 686-pea live version.

The UEFI boot is disabled in the bios.

Kai Hendry

Feb 18, 2014, 10:19:50 AM2/18/14
to webc-users
On 18 February 2014 22:55, <in...@valuco.nl> wrote:
> The UEFI boot is disabled in the bios.

Hmm, what happens when UEFI is enabled?

Kind regards,

in...@valuco.nl

Feb 18, 2014, 10:33:05 AM2/18/14
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, hen...@webconverger.com
When enabling EUFI boot a shell window will appear and i cannot boot any further.
I think this only works on Windows 7 and 8, when enabling this option i can (optionally) choose the OS.
In this window only windows 7 and 8 appear.

If you have any other suggestions let me hear and i will try.

Kai Hendry

Feb 18, 2014, 10:43:56 AM2/18/14
to webc-users
It's late here in Singapore. I'll do some research tomorrow.

Does other distros like Ubuntu work?

in...@valuco.nl

Feb 18, 2014, 10:50:53 AM2/18/14
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, hen...@webconverger.com
Hi Kai,

No problem at all, i'm from the Netherlands, almost end of working day here at the moment.
Ubuntu is no problem at all, works flawless.
Going to try one more thing, you're microcode version from the USB stick instead of the SSD.
Should i get any other result i will post them here.

Also tried another web kiosk software, works fine but has some other cons, because of this we don't want to use it.
You're software has the management and API as a big PRO!

We want to use it for running our point of sale software.

Kai Hendry

Feb 19, 2014, 2:19:45 AM2/19/14
to webc-users
On 18 February 2014 23:50, <in...@valuco.nl> wrote:
> Also tried another web kiosk software, works fine but has some other cons,
> because of this we don't want to use it.
> You're software has the management and API as a big PRO!

Thanks, I don't have any good ideas today. I guess I should go out
and buy that NUC next week.

I think that microcode error stuff might be a red herring. I think a
newer Intel X driver is needed. Getting this sort of stuff backported
quickly to Debian stable is such a pain...

> We want to use it for running our point of sale software.

Good, we have other customers using Webconverger in a POS setting.

That aside, I tried http://www.vendhq.com/ the other day and it seemed
to work fine.

Kind regards,

in...@valuco.nl

Feb 19, 2014, 9:36:30 AM2/19/14
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rod,

Just found the problem in my situation, perhaps this also the solution for you.
I was using an SSD drive where the webc-23.0.img was written on.

In my situation it isn't possible to use the SSD to load from, then i tried a USB stick with the image written on it: works like a charm!!

So now i insert the USB stick first, then chose to install webconverger to the SSD.
After installation was completed, reboot and then boot from SSD.

Perhaps you are using a SSD or Harddrive to boot from to?