Page Refresh

John Meyer

Jan 28, 2015, 4:31:25 PM1/28/15
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
I am looking to use the Neon/webcfullscreen chrome to display a running PowerPoint on some outdoor signage that would be updated 1-2 times each day.  I am planning on using a published Google Docs Presentation for this, which I can pull up fine in tests.  I am open to other ideas.

I am trying to figure out a way to periodically refresh the site I am on to display any changes that were made.  I want to avoid using kioskresetstation because it takes longer than I like to reload the page and I don't think it looks great having a command prompt come up for a bit, the logo, and then display the page again.  Also, I can't seem to get it to work while a presentation is running, but I haven't put much effort into correcting that.

Any suggestions on how I would configure the page to simply refresh periodically so that my changes to the presentation would be shown?

Steve Robson

Jan 29, 2015, 4:35:15 AM1/29/15
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Hello John,

How about dynamic refreshing of the page? The html code is:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="x">

where x is the number of seconds between refreshes.

Good luck,
-Steve

John Meyer

Jan 29, 2015, 8:51:20 AM1/29/15
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
That would require me to be able to edit the page, right?  I don't think Google will be so kind.

I chose the Google presentation because it would be simple for my users to edit the slides, but the refresh issue holds me back.  I would be willing to look at an alternative if anyone has a different suggestion.

Guttorm Flatabø

Jan 29, 2015, 9:02:53 AM1/29/15
to Webconverger forum
That would require me to be able to edit the page, right?  I don't think Google will be so kind.

Perhaps not, if you put the presentation as an iframe inside your own simple html?

Or make the presentation using jekyll (used by Github pages, and I believe on some dedicated service from the same company as Github) or Pelican and/or some html5 slide framework?

--
Guttorm

Joshua Cowles

Jan 29, 2015, 9:03:00 AM1/29/15
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Would it work to load the Google presentation in a frame/iframe?

Josh Cowles
Fond du Lac Public Library
techs...@fdlpl.org (IT Requests)

John Meyer

Jan 29, 2015, 9:04:13 AM1/29/15
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Great suggestion.  I will test and reply back with results.

Kai Hendry

Jan 30, 2015, 12:42:20 AM1/30/15
to webc-users
Hi guys, for experimenting with frames, you could use an old
unmaintained App I wrote: http://sg.webconverger.com/?mac=MACID

Do let me know how you get on. Ideally live updating is somehow built
into the Web App.

Kind regards,

Bernard Osmond

Feb 4, 2015, 5:42:50 AM2/4/15
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Frame the page on a site you host and just use JS to refresh the frame every X minutes. Same result.

Bernard.