build-hdd

Guttorm Flatabø

Jan 3, 2014, 8:13:16 PM1/3/14
to Webconverger forum
Happy new year webconvergers!

I'm trying to make hdd images for usb memory sticks following the develop and chroot instructions on the wiki.

Although those pages do not state it, it seems "make build-hdd" should give the desired result. However, instead I get:

[2014-01-04 01:00:50] lb binary_linux-image
P: Begin install linux-image...
lb binary_syslinux
[2014-01-04 01:00:50] lb binary_syslinux
P: Begin installing syslinux...
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/syslinux/hdt.c32': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/syslinux/ldlinux.c32': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/syslinux/libcom32.c32': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/syslinux/libutil.c32': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/syslinux/vesamenu.c32': No such file or directory
ls: cannot access config/package-lists/client-gnome.list*: No such file or directory
# Copy the template bootloader config, so the config can be
# regenerated on upgrades (but only on an hdd image, since an
# iso-hybrid image is not writable anyway).
if [ "hdd" = hdd ]; then \
        cp config/bootloaders/syslinux/live.cfg.in binary/boot; \
    fi
cp: cannot stat 'config/bootloaders/syslinux/live.cfg.in': No such file or directory
make: *** [binary] Error 1

In the end. I've also tried installing syslinux from debian experimental (version 6), which didn't change anything. No changes were made before build.

Have I misunderstood how to make a hdd image, or is something not right with the build script/process?

--
Guttorm

Kai Hendry

Jan 6, 2014, 9:47:14 PM1/6/14
to webc-users
Happy new year to you too Guttorm, :-)

I just tried `make build-hdd` myself and yes, there is a problem indeed.

However, why not just image the ISO or install from the ISO?

Not sure why hdd images are needed.

Added an issue here https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/issues/183

Kind regards,

Guttorm Flatabø

Jan 7, 2014, 7:39:55 AM1/7/14
to Webconverger forum
2014/1/7 Kai Hendry <hen...@webconverger.com>

However, why not just image the ISO or install from the ISO?

Not sure why hdd images are needed.

I was under the impression that the automatic upgrade feature will work when a hdd image is written to thumbdrive with dd, it thus seems a more direct route to upgradeability than first flashing to drive A, and then installing to drive B. I'd expect it to be an hdd image used by osdisc.com for their thumbdrives?

--
Guttorm

Kai Hendry

Jan 8, 2014, 2:27:30 AM1/8/14
to webc-users
On 7 January 2014 20:39, Guttorm Flatabø <po...@guttormflatabo.com> wrote:
> I was under the impression that the automatic upgrade feature will work when
> a hdd image is written to thumbdrive with dd, it thus seems a more direct
> route to upgradeability than first flashing to drive A, and then installing
> to drive B. I'd expect it to be an hdd image used by osdisc.com for their
> thumbdrives?

You're right, it should be more direct, but IIRC build-hdd does not
allocate the full disk. So installing from ISO is still better.

Once you've installed to a disk you want[1], you could do something like a:

sudo dd if=/dev/sdc1 | gzip -c | dd of=binary-hdd.img.gz
sudo dd if=binary-hdd.img.gz | zcat | sudo dd of=/dev/sdc1

Assuming all your disks are the same... e.g. 4GB USB stick on /dev/sdc

Tbh I'm not sure what OSDISC uses. I guess just the Live version. I'll
try get in contact with them.

I tried having a go fixing it `ln -s config/bootloaders/isolinux/
config/bootloaders/syslinux` but it then b0rks with
Can't open /proc/688/fd/3: No such fil
Cannot initialize 'S:'
Bad target s:/ldlinux.sys
syslinux: failed to create ldlinux.sys

I'm tempted to say we only generate the "live" ISO version for now and
deprecate build-hdd altogether.

My big new year's resolution is completely refactor the build process
in an Archlinux https://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git/ style.
Again I think it's best to generate an ISO from which people can
install to a disk as what's happening currently.

[1] http://webconverger.org/blog/entry/Webconverger_17.0_release/