Sidebar is missing?

Philip Rhoades

Feb 11, 2011, 3:44:19 AM2/11/11
to Webby
People,

I just did a standard install on Fedora 14 and tried the introductory
tutorial and I get to the part about turning off the sidebar - but
there is no sidebar! I can delete that part of the index.txt but all
it does is delete the stuff that was at the bottom of the page - it
wasn't in a sidebar . . what has gone wrong?

Thanks,

Phil.

Pete Lindsay

Feb 13, 2011, 6:01:36 AM2/13/11
to webby...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like you're not seeing your CSS properly. The CSS path is
absolute for the site (/css) so it breaks if your are viewing pages
locally where your css is actually at, say, ~/my_site/css.

My usual mistake, which has the effect you're seeing, when I go back to
Webby is to try to view pages directly (as files) in a browser or my
editor's preview rather than through the built-in web server (see the
autobuild command) or uploading somewhere.

--Pete

Philip Rhoades

Feb 13, 2011, 10:47:14 AM2/13/11
to webby...@googlegroups.com, Pete Lindsay
Pete,

Thanks but there doesn't seem to be sufficient information in the
documentation eg running the autobuild command will indeed run the
built-in server and display the page properly but the only comment about
deployment says: "The webby program is actually a smart wrapper around
Rake. It is used to run the tasks that will create new pages, build the
output products, and deploy the site to a server." when I run:

webby deploy

the output is created and then the program waits for some input? When I
break out of this with CTRL-C I see that it is expecting an rsync login
but where is the information on the syntax for the deploy task?

Regards,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: ph...@pricom.com.au

Philip Rhoades

Feb 13, 2011, 11:17:16 AM2/13/11
to webby...@googlegroups.com, Pete Lindsay
Pete,

To respond to my own question - I found an example outside the Webby
docs that showed me how to set up:

SITE.user
SITE.host
SITE.remote_dir

in Sitefile so now deploy works but I still get the same problem with
css not being visible - "deploy" creates exactly the same dir structure
as in the "output" dir . .

Philip Rhoades

Feb 13, 2011, 11:46:12 AM2/13/11
to webby...@googlegroups.com, Pete Lindsay
Pete,

A quick and dirty solution to all my current issues was to just prepend
a "." to all the "/css . . " lines in the default layout file . .

Philip Rhoades

Feb 13, 2011, 12:00:02 PM2/13/11
to ph...@pricom.com.au, webby...@googlegroups.com, Pete Lindsay

Pete Lindsay

Feb 13, 2011, 2:09:11 PM2/13/11
to webby...@googlegroups.com

Ah, never used deploy myself, always tested with autobuild then ftp'd
separately.

The Webby tutorial docs are undoubtedly a bit patchy, I guess the
original developer, Tim Pease, rather would program - the tutorial (I
think it is - maybe the tricks & tips) seems to stop halfway through,
just as it is getting to an interesting bit. Google is your friend
though, searches on "webby ruby" and some other term of interest are
generally rewarding I find.

Cheers

--Pete