Webbit as OSGi bundle

j2fringe

Sep 17, 2012, 3:14:00 PM9/17/12
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am wonder if you have planned to make an OSGi bundle from Webbit. I think Webbit is perfect for OSGi environments, just dynamically deploy and un-deploy new websocket sevices by adding removing bundles.

I have done a bit of it, I guess quite roughly and quickly but, you can have a look at this: https://github.com/j2fringe/ws-osgi-project.git. It uses a my forked version of Webbit (OSGified - just a manifest added to the jar file + some small changes so my new websocket based pages can be dynamically added and removed).

I will be pleased to collaborate in your project webbit if you need help.

On the other hand, I haven't had much time lately but it looks like you're still working around the shutdown problem, looks like it is solved in netty 4.0.0-alpha, yes I know it is an alpha version and the API has changed a lot... Are you planning to migrate webbit to netty 4.0.0?  I would be also pleased to help with it.

Congratulations for such a nice project!! It has open my mind quite a lot!!

J2FRINGE

Kushal Pisavadia

Sep 17, 2012, 4:24:09 PM9/17/12
to web...@googlegroups.com

Could this be something where you fork the repo, make your changes, and then send in a pull request for us to discuss?

In this case, code speaks louder than words and it sounds like you have the basis of a working implementation to talk over.

Joe Walnes

Sep 17, 2012, 5:33:08 PM9/17/12
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi j2fringe,

In general, we prefer to keep everything that's not core to Webbit, outside in another project. However, if you had to fork and modify the source, that suggests that Webbit is not extensible enough for your needs, so I'd definitely like to address that. Please could you elaborate further on the changes you made.

Please could you also explain what is required in the Manifest, and how we can test it works correctly. Once we understand it better, we can make a better decision about whether we can support it.

thanks
-Joe

aslak hellesoy

Sep 17, 2012, 6:56:29 PM9/17/12
to web...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM, j2fringe <j2fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wonder if you have planned to make an OSGi bundle from Webbit.

I don't think any of the main contributors have planned to do this as
we don't use OSGi. That said, if OSGi would help others without
complicating the build process too much I'm all for accepting a pull
request.

> I think
> Webbit is perfect for OSGi environments, just dynamically deploy and
> un-deploy new websocket sevices by adding removing bundles.

Sure, why not :-)

> I have done a bit of it, I guess quite roughly and quickly but, you can have
> a look at this: https://github.com/j2fringe/ws-osgi-project.git. It uses a
> my forked version of Webbit (OSGified - just a manifest added to the jar
> file + some small changes so my new websocket based pages can be dynamically
> added and removed).
>
> I will be pleased to collaborate in your project webbit if you need help.
>
> On the other hand, I haven't had much time lately but it looks like you're
> still working around the shutdown problem, looks like it is solved in netty
> 4.0.0-alpha, yes I know it is an alpha version and the API has changed a
> lot... Are you planning to migrate webbit to netty 4.0.0? I would be also
> pleased to help with it.

I have looked at the 4.0.0-alpha release. I also started on a branch
that refactors towards 3.0. I didn't get very far with it as the API
is very different. Even more so in 4.0.0. It looks like a big job, so
any help would be much appreciated.

If you'd like helping out with it, please do so on a different branch
from the OSGi branch - they are independent work streams.

> Congratulations for such a nice project!! It has open my mind quite a lot!!

Thanks, j2fringe

Aslak