Re: [webbit] Best way of keeping websocket alive

Neil Dunn

Jul 27, 2013, 7:54:42 AM7/27/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I usually implement a two way heartbeat, server sends a heartbeat message and client sends one back. If I want to check for stale connections I'll include a sequence number in the heartbeats and check responses come back in a certain time period.

I've avoided using the ping methods, I prefer to treat a heartbeat like any other method

On Wednesday, 24 July 2013, Robert Schiffman wrote:
I'm trying to find the best solution for keeping a websocket connection alive, so that the connection doesn't timeout when idle. I've thought of trying to implement a ScheduledExecutorService, but not sure how to go about that in context of a BaseWebSocketHandler to call ping on the connection.  Or would it be better to implement on client side?