webbit

Joe Walnes

Feb 11, 2013, 9:03:42 PM2/11/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hello Webbit users,

Webbit has been around for a few years now. But as project lead, I haven't been able to give it the time I would have liked. As I spend more time on other projects, it makes sense to hand over the leadership role. So, I'm happy to be handing the reins to Aslak Hellesøy.

Since Webbit was originally open-sourced, my contributions have been pretty minor anyway, and Aslak has been responsible for the vast majority of the work, including re-engineering the core WebSocket protocol stack as the specification evolved, fixing numerous bugs, new features, performance improvements, managing code contributions between Webbit and Netty, and keeping the community going. So really, there's not a lot of change, I just want to make it official, and use this opportunity to thank Aslak for getting the project this far.

In my totally biased opinion ;), Webbit has always been a great WebSocket server that is a perfect fit for JVM projects following message passing threading models. Webbit is powering many mission critical, high throughput, low latency systems and is still going strong.

I'd also like to thank these people for their contributions: Daniel Wagner-Hall, Peter Royal, Nathan Mische, Simon Willnauer, Michael Rykov, Nándor István Krácser, Justin Long, Nat Pryce, Manuel Woelker, James Abley, Norman Maurer, Peter Gillard-Moss, Peter Hausel, Erik Bakstad and chtheis. Also, a special thanks to Kushal Pisavadia for a significant amount of contributions and virtual cheer-leading.

I'll still be around, contributing code and ideas from time to time, but the leadership of the project will be handled by Aslak, who will have the final say as the new benevolent dictator.

Onwards!
-Joe

Kushal Pisavadia

Feb 17, 2013, 5:05:31 PM2/17/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

Thank you for all the work you did in starting Webbit and making it something people could (and still do) use in their projects. I'll leave the superlatives out for when/if we meet in person.

I have no doubt that the project will be fine in Aslak's hands given the impressive way he handled the "summer of ever changing WebSocket drafts" :P