Exporting a project only lists edited files under annotation directory

Sam Hardwick

Jun 11, 2020, 3:48:03 AM6/11/20
to webanno-user
I have yet another question (many thanks to the people who have given me answers previously!). Here's my situation:

I have a project with hundreds of texts that I occasionally export in CoNLL-U format to do certain automatic transformations and then reimport into Webanno. When I do the export, the number of files in the "annotation" directory of the exported zip varies. It seems to me that only those files that have been opened in WebAnno are there, and the others simply omitted. This is a bit annoying, because I have to make sure to check the number of files and bring in other copies from previous versions to avoid losing anything.

Is this intentional in WebAnno, or is there something I can change to always export all the files, or perhaps a bug?

Thanks all!

Jan-Christoph Klie

Jun 11, 2020, 5:30:23 AM6/11/20
to webanno-user
Hello Sam,
In Webanno, we internally differentiate between two kind of documents: Source documents (the thing you imported) and annotation documents (one for each user). Annotation documents are only created when a user actually opens it in order to save space. Is it not sufficient to have the source documents in case a user did not annotate? These are also exported.

Best,

Jan

Sam Hardwick

Jun 11, 2020, 8:36:51 AM6/11/20
to webanno-user
Well, for my particular purposes I need a user's "view" of the entire project. Of course, I can check to see the list of source files and use those where there is no annotation file - and thanks for pointing out to me that that's what the source/ directory contains! I guess I just got bitten by my assumption that if I fetch all the files from annotation/ I will have the entire exported project.

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Jun 11, 2020, 12:06:27 PM6/11/20
to Sam Hardwick, webanno-user
On 11. Jun 2020, at 14:36, Sam Hardwick <sam.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, for my particular purposes I need a user's "view" of the entire project. Of course, I can check to see the list of source files and use those where there is no annotation file - and thanks for pointing out to me that that's what the source/ directory contains! I guess I just got bitten by my assumption that if I fetch all the files from annotation/ I will have the entire exported project.

You might also find the information contained in the JSON file at the root of the export helpful. In particular, there is a section on "annotation_documents" which contains information about the status of the annotations that the users have worked on. Anything not explicitly listed there hasn't been looked at by a given user.

Cheers,

-- Richard