Custom layers not visible in Curation mode

Kristina Pahor de Maiti

May 29, 2023, 9:52:48 AM5/29/23
to webanno-user
Dear WebAnno Team,

I am using our local installation (WebAnno 3.6.6.). I created a project with custom layers and had two annotators tag a document. The document was then marked as finished by both annotators and I tried to merge the annotations in Curation mode.

However, the custom layers are not visible in Curation (I see only the levels that were imported together with conllu files; the custom layers are also not included under viewing preferences; see the screenshots attached). If I download non-curated files, I see the annotations; but if I download the curated files, all custom-layer annotations are gone.

Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Kristina Pahor de Maiti

annotation mode.png
curation mode.png

Richard Eckart de Castilho

May 29, 2023, 9:56:31 AM5/29/23
to Kristina Pahor de Maiti, webanno-user
Hi,

> However, the custom layers are not visible in Curation (I see only the levels that were imported together with conllu files; the custom layers are also not included under viewing preferences; see the screenshots attached). If I download non-curated files, I see the annotations; but if I download the curated files, all custom-layer annotations are gone.

CoNLL-U files do not support custom layers. Custom layers are supported only by CAS UIMA XMI and WebAnno TSV formats.

Note that WebAnno had reached the end of its life. Please consider cross-grading to INCEpTION [1].

In most cases, you can export your projects from WebAnno, import them into INCEpTION and continue work.

Note that user accounts are not transferred when importing the project. You can enable the option "Create missing users",
but the users will be imported in a disabled state and without a password into INCEpTION. You will have to manually
re-enable the users and set a new password in the user management.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Kristina Pahor de Maiti

May 29, 2023, 10:26:37 AM5/29/23
to Richard Eckart de Castilho, webanno-user
Hello,

Thank you for the quick answer. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. It seems the problem is in WebAnno -- I don't see any custom-layer annotations in Curation mode (although they are visible in Annotation mode; see images in my previous email). The custom-layer annotations are visible if exported in TSV (as you said), but only if I export the whole project (not the curated files). However, If I export the curated files (also in TSV), the file doesn't include any custom-layer annotations. Is there a solution to this problem?

Best regards,
Kristina

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Jun 1, 2023, 1:53:44 PM6/1/23
to Kristina Pahor de Maiti, webanno-user
Hi,

> On 29. May 2023, at 16:26, Kristina Pahor de Maiti <kristin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> However, If I export the curated files (also in TSV), the file doesn't include any custom-layer annotations. Is there a solution to this problem?

So I have tried reproducing this in the latest version of INCEpTION:

* Create new project
* Create custom layer
* Import document
* Open document on annotation page
* Create annotation on custom layer
* Mark document as finished on annotation page
* Open document on curation page
* Merge annotation (actually, pre-merged since there was no conflict)
* Mark document as finished on curation page
* Go to project export panel in project settings
* Select WebAnno TSV 3.3 as export format in the section for exporting curated documents
* Start export
* Download ZIP and extract it
* Check TSV file and see that custom layer annotation is included

If it does not work for you in WebAnno, you might try upgrading to the latest WebAnno version (3.6.11).

If it still does not work for you there, it could be a bug or a usage problem.

If it is a bug, it will not be fixed anymore because -as I said- WebAnno has reached the end of its life.

Considering that -as you say- the data is included in the full project export, I would suggest you use the full project export instead of the curation-only export as a workaround.

You could also try exporting your project, importing into INCEpTION and going on from there. If you still face the problem in the current version of INCEpTION, we can continue to investigate from there.

Cheers,

-- Richard