How to leverage web2py popularity and usage?

Diego Carvallo

Sep 6, 2013, 6:57:36 PM9/6/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I think that the bigger the active community the greater a framework gets. Like Symphony for example that in a few years has grown so big now it has its own plugin repository (Composer) and dozens of user forums.

Regarding metrics, it could be a good thing to determine how BuiltWith and Wappalizer detect frameworks to create their usage trend graphs. Both have Chrome extensions that tell you the frameworks used in a certain web page but web2py is usually not detected (not even in my page where I have certainty it was built with web2py). This could help show the world a more accurate graph of web2py usage. Even on web2py's home site http://web2py.com/ Wappalizer detects Bootstrap but not web2py (here BuiltWith does).

So the options I can come up with:
  1. Increase GitHub followers ( As Massimo explained in this thread )
  2. Allow BuildWith to detect web2py ( http://trends.builtwith.com/framework/web2py )
  3. Allow Wappalizer to detect web2py ( http://wappalyzer.com/categories/web-frameworks )
  4. Google Trends ( http://www.google.it/trends/explore#q=CodeIgniter|Symfony|web2py|django )
  5. Creating more reviews/blog-posts about its features compared to other frameworks
  6. Ask to be counted in benckmark tests ( like this one http://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/ )
  7. Create web2py conferences (like Drupal Camps, or Google GDG for example)
  8. Start a user forum instead of just using Google Groups

What else can be done? What are your thoughts?

Brian Hauer

Sep 6, 2013, 8:13:26 PM9/6/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
At least with respect to #6, it's not necessary to ask to be part of our project--we'd love to have web2py added!  The quickest way to make sure that happens is to implement the tests and submit a pull request at the GitHub repository:

https://github.com/TechEmpower/FrameworkBenchmarks/

You can use one of the other implementations as a starting point and/or use the test specifications:

http://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=code

The Python tests in particular have seen some debate about best practices for production deployment configuration, so we'd be interested in hearing and seeing your thoughts on that matter.

Let us know if you have any questions at our Google Group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/framework-benchmarks

webpypy

Sep 7, 2013, 3:54:45 AM9/7/13
to web...@googlegroups.com

As Massimo said, " the main advantage/objective of web2py framework is to be the easiest and fastest to develop web applications".

I think the rate of growing popularity/interest was high for versions < 2.0 , compared with versions >= 2.0 .
Maybe because of the big size of manual for versions >2.0 , The big manual means it is not expected to be the easiest and fastest anymore.

I suggest explaining the features through well documented examples/appliances, keeping the manual small...

LightDot

Sep 7, 2013, 6:07:53 AM9/7/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I'm always sorry to see a good open source project with little or no documentation and a myriad of them are in this sad state. Luckily, web2py doesn't have this problem.

The existence of the documentation is this fairly complete form is one of the reasons I chose web2py over other python frameworks. I don't think having 40 pages more or less would make me consider web2py faster or slower. But a lack of a chapter in the book might have made me choose another framework.

I agree that new users need simple examples, but not at the expense of an in depth manual. If there is a consensus that web2py book can be intimidating for a complete begginer, perhaps someone can write a short "My first web2py project" in a book form, or something similar? I personally think this can be better served with blog articles and publishing of slices.

Perhaps the growh of web2py userbase has slowed a bit..? I'm not sure that it did though. I don't have any insight into statistics to think one way or another and I don't trust my perception with this.

What did slow down is the pace of web2py releases, hasn't it? The period between releases is longer than it used to be.

Massimo Di Pierro

Sep 7, 2013, 12:01:08 PM9/7/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
yes the number time distance between releases has increased, mostly because the new features we are adding are more complex (or would have done it before).

I do not know about the number of users.

I definitively think we need more people to blog about web2py.

massimo

Julie Bouillon

Sep 9, 2013, 12:39:48 PM9/9/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
If there's enough enough bloggers out there writing about web2py, I'll be happy to put a "planet web2py" in place.
Just let me know if there's an interest for that.

Julie
--

---

Mirko Scavazzin

Sep 9, 2013, 2:28:05 PM9/9/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in.

Anthony

Sep 9, 2013, 4:21:05 PM9/9/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
There was one: http://www.web2py.com.ar/planet/. Looks like it's returning an error ticket now.

Anthony

Julie Bouillon

Sep 10, 2013, 3:00:07 AM9/10/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
No need to reinvent the wheel ;-) Maybe just "reactivate" this one...

Michele Comitini

Sep 11, 2013, 3:43:40 AM9/11/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I hope it can be served with web2py itself!  No wordpress please.

Derek

Sep 11, 2013, 5:25:52 PM9/11/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I looked at web2py stats on some webpage (i forget now) and it shows 6 main developers. However, looking further, they are all Massimo connecting from various computers. It would be nice if that was cleaned up.

Derek

Sep 11, 2013, 5:34:49 PM9/11/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
found it... Ohloh...
https://www.ohloh.net/p/web2py/contributors/summary
So it shows the amount of developers going up and up...
But look at the top 6...
Massimo Di Pierro, mdipierro, mdip...@massimo-di-pierros-macbook2.local, mdip...@massimo-di-pierros-macbook.local, Massimo DiPierro, and... wait for it... Massimo

*sigh* I have no idea how many developers have worked on this, but Ohloh is entirely incorrect, and since Massimo is the whole op 6, it makes everyone else's contributions seem worthless.

Mariano Reingart

Sep 11, 2013, 6:05:09 PM9/11/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Anthony <abas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was one: http://www.web2py.com.ar/planet/. Looks like it's returning
> an error ticket now.

Fixed the planet, althougth it needs to be updated and get some improvements...

The source code is at:

https://code.google.com/p/planet-web2py/

Best regards,

Mariano Reingart