New feature: admin plugin download

Alan Etkin

Oct 16, 2013, 5:08:40 PM10/16/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
There's a new experimental feature for the admin app in trunk. When you visit an app's design page, the plugin download button at the bottom links to a page with a list of available contributed plugin packages that will be automagically downloaded and installed for you.

The list of available plugins is provided by the web2pyslices.com article search api. Warning: The current list is very small and some of the links will not work since the plugin package slice is required to post a direct .w2p archive dowload url.

Note to web2pyslices users: Please update your plugin posts so they specify a link to a .w2p file at the download field. Note also that if you are using Google code as project hosting, they have dropped support for archive downloads.

I think there are lots of missing plugins which were not posted at web2pyslices.com, so, please, if you want your web2py plugin in the list, fill the following form

https://www.web2pyslices.com/slice/new/Package

Niphlod

Oct 16, 2013, 5:43:40 PM10/16/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
will do on the weekend.

Tim Richardson

Oct 17, 2013, 9:09:03 PM10/17/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
on web2pyslices I have a plugin (Google charts). I have updated the field "Download page URL" to be the URL of the .w2p archive (stored on GitHub releases). The install feature worked. This is a really great enhancement.

Alan Etkin

Oct 18, 2013, 1:10:52 PM10/18/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
on web2pyslices I have a plugin (Google charts). I have updated the field "Download page URL" to be the URL of the .w2p archive (stored on GitHub releases). The install feature worked. This is a really great enhancement.

And there are a couple of features that should be easy to add:

- git option to clone the plugin repo into the app instead of unpacking the .w2p
- live repo stats
- mark installed plugins
- option to update/overwrite the plugin
- show other slice values (likes, author, recommended, ...)

Niphlod

Oct 18, 2013, 5:08:00 PM10/18/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
done.
sidenote: instead of requiring git, it could be easier (and require no external libs) to download the zip and unpack