Failing to execute python script from the Windows CMD

Zeke Schmois

Jul 23, 2013, 5:58:46 PM7/23/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure I'm missing something very fundamental here but whenever I try to run my script on the windows command line I get

>python web2py.exe -S myApp - M -R applications/myApp/scripts/myAppScript.py
  File "web2py.exe", line 1
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\x90' in file web2py.exe on line 1, but no enc
oding declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details

If I use web2py.py it breaks because there's no such file in my web2py folder.

I'm out of ideas as how to execute it, any pointers?

Anthony

Jul 23, 2013, 6:52:04 PM7/23/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
If you have Python installed on your system, then download and unzip the source version of web2py, not the Windows binary version. In that case, you'll start it with python web2py.py.

Anthony

Massimo Di Pierro

Jul 24, 2013, 4:31:35 AM7/24/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
If you use the binary distribution you do not need "python" and you should call web2py with:

> web2py.exe -S myApp - M -R applications/myApp/scripts/myAppScript.py

but since you have python installed, you should follow Anthony's advice and run web2py form source.