web2py broken with Python 3.8

Woody

Dec 6, 2019, 10:56:48 AM12/6/19
to web2py-users
web2py is broken with Python 3.8. I asked a question about this a few days ago and was told that it would be fixed. Looking at the open issues for w2p, I don't see open issues related to fixing these incompatibilities. I would be interested in some discussion about specifically what the incompatibilities are, which open issues are addressing these problems and the time frame to fix. What's the scale of these problems? Is it possible to manually patch the problems?

Massimo Di Pierro

Dec 8, 2019, 2:59:49 AM12/8/19
to web2py-users
Both web2py and py4web are currently incompatible with python 3.8 because the latter break backward compatibility again. One of the issue is that stream-like objects are now required to support more methods than they used to. Another issue I am trying to get to the bottom of has to do with pickling. I will try fix this over the week-end. It is a priority.

Woody

Jan 6, 2020, 5:41:42 PM1/6/20
to web2py-users
Any update on when web2py will be compatible with Python 3.8?

Massimo Di Pierro

Jan 15, 2020, 1:10:28 AM1/15/20
to web2py-users
Works for me right now.

Woody

Jan 15, 2020, 12:36:55 PM1/15/20
to web2py-users
Good news! I'll give it a try.

jim kaubisch

Mar 6, 2020, 5:26:10 PM3/6/20
to web2py-users
What was the result of 3.8 for you when you tried it?

jim kaubisch

Mar 12, 2020, 10:56:52 AM3/12/20
to web2py-users
Hi,

How does one access the changes made in web2py to use Python 3.8? when I fire it up it tells me its up-to-date with 2.18.5-stable+timestamp.2019.04.08.04.22.03

I presume that version doesn't have the changes ??

Thanks

villas

Mar 12, 2020, 2:19:57 PM3/12/20
to web2py-users
web2py itself is designed to work on both versions of python.

Perhaps it goes without saying, any code that you write yourself must be compatible with the python that you are targeting.

jim kaubisch

Mar 13, 2020, 3:37:25 PM3/13/20
to web2py-users
Hi Villas,

Then I'm confused...

I've got 15k+ lines of reasonably complex web2py based Python 3.7.6 code. I'm thinking ahead to when it would be wise/necessary to migrate to 3.8

Massimo said "Both web2py and py4web are currently incompatible with python 3.8" (beginning of December) and later said "Works for me right now." (middle of January).
He explained the reasons for the problems and I interpreted his second note as implying he fixed things.

My question is - if there were code changes to accommodate the 3.8 incompatibilities, how does one access them given that the official version of web2py hasn't changed in nearly a year ?
Was also hoping that Woody would respond to say if he tried it, as he planned to, and what the outcome was

Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks

villas

Mar 14, 2020, 8:26:42 AM3/14/20
to web2py-users
Hi Jim
I think you are understanding it correctly, there isn't enough explicit info to give you enough reassurance.about moving to 3.8.  I do not use 3.8 myself, but if Massimo says it works, then I assume it now does, but you still have to test your own app in your own environment.  As you say, hopefully any 3.8 users might chip in here with something more specific.  I usually check the Github issues if I'm concerned about general bugs.