Cookie-based i18n and search engines (SEO)

shapova...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2013, 12:43:13 PM10/18/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'm using multi-language method described in web2py Application Development Cookbook i.e. cookie-based. (controller retrieves saved lang preference from user's cookies and the fetches him a page from db in appropriate language).

I'm worried about search engines discovering only one language version of site's content. What do you think?

Niphlod

Oct 18, 2013, 3:14:50 PM10/18/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
that if you need your website to be available in multiple languages even to crawlers, you choose the wrong way to do it.
Take the way of url-rewrite with the languages in the url, so you can have different uris returning different translations.
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/04/the-core#URL-rewrite