web2py -> py4web

Massimo Di Pierro

Jul 13, 2024, 10:10:05 PM (2 days ago) Jul 13
to web2py-users
Hello everybody,

You may have noticed I am not very active on this mailing list. That is mostly because I have been concentrating my energy on py4web which I think is must more modern and faster than web2py.

Once again I want to encourage you to move.
If you look at this page

You will find it to be very familiar:
- has an admin interface (called _dashboard)
- has an dbadmin interface
- same pyDAL
- same template language
- same helpers
- same session interface
- similar but better Form
- similar but better Grid (still evolving)
- different request object but compatible with bottlepy
- different auth logic but support for more Oauth2 services (github, okta, facebook, etc.)
- different but similar background scheduler

Here are some instructions about how to move from web2py to py4web

web2py currently works for python2.7 and python3.7+ but they are using a frozen version of pydal. This no longer works on Google App Engine. So how do we fix it?

I am considering the following:
- freezing web2py for Python 2.7 and stopping support.
- continuing limited support of web2py for python3.7+ and specifically upgrade pydal for the lastest.
- upgrade pydal so that it continues to work on Google App Engine for both web2py and py4web.

My questions are: Is this worth it? Have people moved from python2.7 to 3.7+ already? Are people here interested in continuing to use web2py with GAE?

Massimo

Clemens

Jul 14, 2024, 4:11:23 AM (2 days ago) Jul 14
to web2py-users
Hello Massimo,

I'm a vital web2py user with a 3 systems in production. I've moved to python 3.7+ (currently 3.8) a long time ago.  I'm using postgres as database, thus for me GAE would not be relevant.

But I'm really interested in any support and security updates of web2py.

I would like to migrate to py4web. The only but big obstacle is time. As soon as I find the time I'm gonna move to py4web.

Thanks a lot for web2py and your work!

Best regards
Clemens

Raul Monares

Jul 14, 2024, 6:25:26 PM (2 days ago) Jul 14
to web2py-users
Hi Massimo
I have several web2py applications in production. Big systems that would be difficult to move to py4web as they are growing all the time. But we're using Python 3.8.

Also, GAE is not relevant to us

Web2py has been fantastic.

Brian M

Jul 15, 2024, 9:58:28 PM (12 hours ago) Jul 15
to web2py-users
I have a larger web2py app that would be a chore to migrate - hard to justify the time without clear incentives. It’s running Python 3.10 and not on GAE. Would be nice if there was at least some security updates.

Christian Varas

Jul 15, 2024, 10:15:49 PM (12 hours ago) Jul 15
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi Massimo,
In my case I have still one app in production using web2py, I haven’t migrated yet because is quite big. For the rest of my apps, are all migrated to py4web and they work so much faster :).

In my opinion, drop the support of python 2.7 is recommended to avoid security issues, and also to minimize the work load of maintenance.

For web2py, maybe it is better just do bug fixes and no more upgrades. Web2py is an amazing framework that work out of the box. But Py4web is just better !

I don’t use GAE with web2py, I’ve always used in a VPS.

Thanks you  and all the team behind. 🍻

Chris.
--
Resources: