Haiti Response - web2py/JQuery Coders & Testers Requested

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Tim McNamara

unread,
Jan 14, 2010, 4:28:05 PM1/14/10
to web...@googlegroups.com
A message for those people who would like to assist with the Haitian earthquake response in a technical capacity. Please assist with SahanaPy's deployment for orgs responding to the Haitian earthquake.

Motto of story
Visit #sahana in irc freenode.

Objective
We are building a registry of response orgs and their activities here: http://is.gd/6h2IQ

Requests
If you have JQuery ot web2py experience, please visit http://trac.sahanapy.org/wiki/Haiti.
If you would like to donate time for data entry or end-user/manual testing please lurk at #sahana on irc freenode.

In Wellington now or will be over the weekend?
For people in Wellington and would like to meetup over the weekend to help, please ping me on Twitter or identi.ca @timClicks.

Your time & expertise is really appreciated. Thank you.

Tim McNamara
@timClicks

mdipierro

unread,
Jan 14, 2010, 5:15:21 PM1/14/10
to web2py-users
Can you post a list of specific tasks that need to be completed?

Massimo

On Jan 14, 3:28 pm, Tim McNamara <mcnamara....@gmail.com> wrote:
> A message for those people who would like to assist with the Haitian
> earthquake response in a technical capacity. Please assist with SahanaPy's
> deployment for orgs responding to the Haitian earthquake.
>

> *Motto of story*


> Visit #sahana in irc freenode.
>

> *Objective*


> We are building a registry of response orgs and their activities here:http://is.gd/6h2IQ
>

> *Requests*
> If you have JQuery ot web2py experience, please visithttp://trac.sahanapy.org/wiki/Haiti.


> If you would like to donate time for data entry or end-user/manual testing
> please lurk at #sahana on irc freenode.
>

> *In Wellington now or will be over the weekend?*

Fran

unread,
Jan 14, 2010, 5:20:39 PM1/14/10
to web2py-users
On Jan 14, 10:15 pm, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> Can you post a list of specific tasks that need to be completed?

Hi Massimo, it's here:

> > If you have JQuery ot web2py experience, please visit http://trac.sahanapy.org/wiki/Haiti.

The best use of your skills would be this one:
* Change Password Reset to take users to a password reset page
instead of just emailing a new password?
* More secure
* Upstream in Web2Py

Best Wishes,
Fran.

mdipierro

unread,
Jan 14, 2010, 5:41:09 PM1/14/10
to web2py-users
Wes James sent me a patch for that some time ago but I lost it. I will
try retrieve and apply immediately (assuming I find it or he resends
it to me)

Massimo

On Jan 14, 4:20 pm, Fran <francisb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 14, 10:15 pm, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
>
> > Can you post a list of specific tasks that need to be completed?
>
> Hi Massimo, it's here:
>

> > > If you have JQuery ot web2py experience, please visithttp://trac.sahanapy.org/wiki/Haiti.

Wes James

unread,
Jan 14, 2010, 6:13:10 PM1/14/10
to web...@googlegroups.com
Here's the thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_thread/thread/f43363e7c398f0a4/324ad7226080aa8e

you had some concerns about my implementation using an extra key field.

-wes

> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "web2py-users" group.
> To post to this group, send email to web...@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to web2py+un...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/web2py?hl=en.
>
>
>
>

mdipierro

unread,
Jan 14, 2010, 6:33:20 PM1/14/10
to web2py-users
working on it.... Thanks.

On Jan 14, 5:13 pm, Wes James <compte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's the thread:
>

> http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_thread/thread/f43363e7c3...


>
> you had some concerns about my implementation using an extra key field.
>
> -wes
>

mdipierro

unread,
Jan 14, 2010, 7:52:34 PM1/14/10
to web2py-users
OK. This is done. The solution is very much based on Wes James patch.
I took the time to clean up tools.py so I hope I did not introduce new
bugs but it is possible.

Now bare this me. The convention is a bit complex but we want:

- keep backward compatibility
- allow people to use the new reset_password if they so choose without
change in views
- allow people to keep the old functionality if they so choose

So now we have two functions:

retrieve_password (old) and reset_password (new)

retrieve_password emails you a new password, reset_password emails you
a token that allows you to change the password when you change it. If
you made your own controllers actions you can swap one for the other
in your code.

reset_password needs to be configured in db.py:

auth.messages.reset_password =
'Click on the link http://.../user/reset_password?key=%(key)s to
reset your password'

If you only use the scaffolding user() action and you set

auth.settings.reset_password_requires_verification = True

then retrieve_password gets disabled and mapped into reset_password.
You can use

http://..../user/retrieve_password
http://..../user/reset_password

and they will behave the same. This means that other than the settings
you will not need to edit your views or menus to change the default
behavior.

Until this goes in stable this behavior may be subject to chance
depending on the feedback I get from users.

Please check it and check if Auth is still working fine.

This could go in stable as soon as tomorrow if people tells me it is
ok.

Massimo


On Jan 14, 4:20 pm, Fran <francisb...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 10:15 pm, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
>
> > Can you post a list of specific tasks that need to be completed?
>
> Hi Massimo, it's here:
>

> > > If you have JQuery ot web2py experience, please visithttp://trac.sahanapy.org/wiki/Haiti.

Wes James

unread,
Jan 14, 2010, 10:13:18 PM1/14/10
to web...@googlegroups.com
I tried this. Got it to send me a link:

Click on the link

http://127.0.0.1:8000/app/default/user/reset_password?key=1263524904-9fbb5bd1-f0cd-4a1c-ace7-7febaf37e09f

to reset your password

I click on the link and then it takes me back to the reset password page.

(what's the best way to change this topic so it reflects the discussion?)

-wes

mdipierro

unread,
Jan 14, 2010, 10:38:20 PM1/14/10
to web2py-users
I suggest we move the discussion to another thread and we stop this
one. Feel free to open another thread. If will not be able to fix the
redirect problem tonight. If you find a fix, plese send it to me or I
will fix it tomorrow.

Massimo

On Jan 14, 9:13 pm, Wes James <compte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried this.  Got it to send me a link:
>
> Click on the link
>

> http://127.0.0.1:8000/app/default/user/reset_password?key=1263524904-...


>
> to reset your password
>
> I click on the link and then it takes me back to the reset password page.
>
> (what's the best way to change this topic so it reflects the discussion?)
>
> -wes
>

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages