New web2pyslices packages content

Alan Etkin

Jul 30, 2013, 4:10:02 PM7/30/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
We have a new feature at web2pyslices.com to share information on public web2py projects. If you developed some web2py app, plugin, module, source code or tools in general that could be used with web2py, and you want to make it publicly available, you can simply add it to web2pyslices packages as with any other article. Here's how to do it:

- Login with your registered account. If you don't have a user account, you can get a free one at https://www.web2pyslices.com/person/account/register
- Open https://www.web2pyslices.com/slice/new/Package (or go to Create a slice -> Package)
- Fill the package information form.

That's it. Now your posted resource will be available so other users can browse or search for available web2py tools. This feature can be used in next versions of the admin app to browse and add/update diferent resurces (i.e. plugins), specially those that use version control systems.

Anthony

Jul 30, 2013, 4:55:47 PM7/30/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Nice. A few comments:
  • At the very bottom of the form, there is a heading that says "Right Sidebar".
  • In the actual right sidebar, there is an additional "License" dropdown -- presumably this is left over from the recipe/article post types, but seems a bit odd and confusing here given that there is already a "License" dropdown in the main form (with different choices).
  • In the Package Type dropdown, what's the difference between appliance and app? Maybe just stick with app (or otherwise explain the difference).
  • Also, instead of "Python source", "Python module/library" might be more clear.
Great work.

Anthony

Alan Etkin

Jul 30, 2013, 5:39:35 PM7/30/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
  • At the very bottom of the form, there is a heading that says "Right Sidebar".
Oops. I will remove it.

  • In the actual right sidebar, there is an additional "License" dropdown -- presumably this is left over from the recipe/article post types, but seems a bit odd and confusing here given that there is already a "License" dropdown in the main form (with different choices).
I think we have to keep both licenses, one for the project and the normal document licence, because the user might want to add some stuff like extra documentation on the project or examples. Maybe I can add a note somewhere in the form to note the differences and also change the bare "License" to "Package license" or similar. Would it be ok?

  • In the Package Type dropdown, what's the difference between appliance and app? Maybe just stick with app (or otherwise explain the difference).
Ok, but appliances are less general than apps because the former are "... Ready-to-use web2py applications ..." (wathever it is). I'm okay with leaving just app anyway because the difference seems to be subtle. It seems to me that appliances are in some way the app version of plugins, although there's not much attention paid on them.

I could some add sort of package term definition help so users can decide wether their project fits in one of the package types provided.
  • Also, instead of "Python source", "Python module/library" might be more clear.
Ok. I'll change that too.

Thanks!

Anthony

Jul 30, 2013, 5:57:48 PM7/30/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I think we have to keep both licenses, one for the project and the normal document licence, because the user might want to add some stuff like extra documentation on the project or examples. Maybe I can add a note somewhere in the form to note the differences and also change the bare "License" to "Package license" or similar. Would it be ok?

Sounds good.
  • In the Package Type dropdown, what's the difference between appliance and app? Maybe just stick with app (or otherwise explain the difference).
Ok, but appliances are less general than apps because the former are "... Ready-to-use web2py applications ..." (wathever it is). I'm okay with leaving just app anyway because the difference seems to be subtle. It seems to me that appliances are in some way the app version of plugins, although there's not much attention paid on them.

Probably too subtle a difference to be worth making.

Anthony