Blog about translating for OSS (tool-side)

Dave S

Oct 14, 2014, 10:09:11 PM10/14/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
The (original) author of SumatraPDF has also written AppTranslator, a tool for sharing translation effort for Open Source projects.
<http://blog.kowalczyk.info/article/wjb1/Design-and-implementation-of-translation-system-.html>

The toolset is partly web based (<http://www.apptranslator.org/>), and partly a Python script to extract macros in source code, that then generates a C++ file with the strings.  This doesn't map perfectly to Web2Py's T helper, but it might be an interesting place to start for anyone wanting to build out some W2P toolsets.  The comments about workflow are also interesting.

Sadly, that author is fond of Go for building his websites.  The blog itself is done that way.

Anyway, I found his blog while looking something else up.  (I was already a SumatraPDF user, but didn't know about the blog, which isn't project-specific, although that project is a basis of some of the discussion.)

/dps