scaling web2py (web2pyslice)

mdipierro

Nov 16, 2009, 2:43:41 PM11/16/09
to web2py-users
I just tried this and i worked great:

http://www.web2pyslices.com/main/slices/take_slice/33

Thadeus Burgess

Nov 16, 2009, 2:59:12 PM11/16/09
to web...@googlegroups.com
Are the web2py instances running on their own apache instance? Or just the web2py built in server?

-Thadeus

mdipierro

Nov 16, 2009, 4:53:53 PM11/16/09
to web2py-users
You do not need apache for the worker nodes. You can but would not but
you much.

On Nov 16, 1:59 pm, Thadeus Burgess <thade...@thadeusb.com> wrote:
> Are the web2py instances running on their own apache instance? Or just the
> web2py built in server?
>
> -Thadeus

Thadeus Burgess

Nov 16, 2009, 8:34:48 PM11/16/09
to web...@googlegroups.com
So... They are running on web2py's internal server?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to run them all apache/mod_wsgi?

-Thadeus

Kuba Kucharski

Nov 16, 2009, 9:41:16 PM11/16/09
to web...@googlegroups.com
just to clarify this

> You can but would not ?help
> you much.

I'm sorry if I guess wrong what you try to say

this seems to be a problem with an internal server for production environments

so I understand if you need https and have upload fields in your db you must use apache/mod_wsgi, even in this case

--
Kuba

mdipierro

Nov 17, 2009, 12:35:50 AM11/17/09
to web2py-users
This is a complicated matter. Who does ssl? The worker nodes or the
same server that does load balancing? In the former case you need to
use apache but you also need to a way to create sticky sessions based
not on cookie but on client it.

On Nov 16, 8:41 pm, Kuba Kucharski <kuba.kuchar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> just to clarify this
>
> > You can but would not ?help
> > you much.
>
> I'm sorry if I guess wrong what you try to say
>
> this seems to be a problem with an internal server for production
> environmentshttp://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_thread/thread/57361bcd71...

Graham Dumpleton

Nov 17, 2009, 12:37:42 AM11/17/09
to web2py-users

On Nov 17, 8:53 am, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> You do not need apache for the worker nodes. You can but would not but
> you much.

It would if you also have static files and are trying to serve it via
same infrastructure. Even Apache would be better at serving static
files than builtin server. Because nginx can serve static files and
handle SSL, you may find that nginx front end serving static files and
load balancing to multiple back end Apache/mod_wsgi may be a better
solution.

If you are using a separate domain/server infrastructure to serve
static files, something which I am not sure web2py can easily do for
contained static files, then it may be a different matter.

Graham

mdipierro

Nov 17, 2009, 2:05:51 AM11/17/09
to web2py-users
Good point. I agree.

On Nov 16, 11:37 pm, Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumple...@gmail.com>

Mengu

Nov 17, 2009, 5:35:55 AM11/17/09
to web2py-users
massimo,

while in production mod, is it possible to stop web2py checking if the
tables and fields are in database? if it's not possible, can you make
this an option for the next version?

mdipierro

Nov 17, 2009, 10:49:14 AM11/17/09
to web2py-users
db.define_table(...,migrate=False)

David

Nov 17, 2009, 3:30:56 PM11/17/09
to web2py-users
I've noticed that the frontend is running WSGI but in order to use
admin I have to start it manually on the shell with port forwarding in
order to do any work on the backend.

I added an entry from the script to /etc/rc.local to handle the admin
side of things so I don't have to login to my dev box to start it each
time when the VM comes back up.

The load balancer should be running the SSL and handling that. Why
would one need SSL from the load balancer to the worker nodes on a
"trusted" network? You would jsut be adding overhead to something
that should be on the same machine or the same VLAN.