access id of newly inserted text

lbjc...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2018, 8:27:11 AM8/20/18
to web2py-users
I am using javascript to insert to database and it works well with
<script>
        jQuery
('#myform').submit(function() {
            ajax
('{{=URL('my_search_party')}}',

['message'], 'target');

return false;

});

</script>

Controller code:
def my_search_party():
    form
= SQLFORM(db.post)

if form.accepts(request, formname=None):

pass

elif form.errors:

pass

But when i try to access the recent posted text with this code it does not appear, instead its a blank message
row = db(db.post.author== auth.user.id).select(db.post.id, orderby=~db.post.id, limitby=(0,1)).first()
id
= row.id

Anthony

Aug 20, 2018, 8:44:59 AM8/20/18
to web2py-users
Is the problem that you are not getting the id of the latest insert, or that you are getting the correct record, but no message is being inserted?

Also, no reason to use if/else in the controller if you are simply going to call "pass" in each case. Just call SQLFORM(...).accepts(), or better yet, SQLFORM.process().

Anthony

Lovedie JC

Aug 20, 2018, 8:47:17 AM8/20/18
to web...@googlegroups.com
Message inserted but id is blank

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Anthony

Aug 20, 2018, 9:50:59 AM8/20/18
to web2py-users
On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 8:47:17 AM UTC-4, Lovedie JC wrote:
Message inserted but id is blank

It's not possible for the id to be blank. Are you saying:

id = row.id

throws an exception? How are you determining that "id is blank"?

Anthony

Lovedie JC

Aug 20, 2018, 11:13:14 AM8/20/18
to web...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I just discovered the problem.
I wasn't posting to the correct DIV in html, hence appearing as a blank message.
I tried to render it into view.html and saw the error.
Now my next challenge is to fix it into the bubble.
See attached.

--
metabolism.png