Silly out of band question about deploying web2py

Tom Campbell

Jun 1, 2015, 6:54:54 PM6/1/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
I am building a SaaS business and am not yet able to hire someone to do the hard stuff (which is everything but the programming). Is there some kind of managed solution I should be looking at, maybe GAE?

This message by Lewis hit home to me because despite 6 months of trying to learn proper deployment I still get these same kinds of mysterious errors from time to time and spend way too much time tracking them down. This is not usually web2py's fault, it's mine, for having so much difficulty learning the ins and outs of system administration. But I dread the day when I accidentally do an apt-get upgrade and my site breaks with paying customers waiting for me to figure out what went wrong. Or when, like Lewis, I'm not even sure where the problem came from.

If I could find "the book" on what sysadmin tasks I need to deploy a production, secure web2py site and keep it safe, I'd be thrilled.

My needs would be to:
  • Be able to upgrade web2py versions easily but roll back if something goes wrong (my app is in git, of course)
  • Not need to worry about Ubuntu (or Debian, CentOS, whatever) upgrades killing my site and leaving paying customers in the lurch for a couple days
  • Support multitenant apps
  • Keep the price of hosting down to, say, no more than 1/3 of a full-time sysadmin
Maybe it's as easy as using Docker? Haven't used it in a real deployment situation so I don't know.

Niphlod

Jun 2, 2015, 9:02:09 AM6/2/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
use some platform that manages the "sys" part for you (e.g. pythonanywhere, heroku, etc,).
You pay for it but if you don't want to have anything to do with "sys" because your business is not being a sysadmin..... I really don't see the point of being forced to manage a system.

Anthony

Jun 3, 2015, 10:07:27 AM6/3/15
to web...@googlegroups.com, tomca...@gmail.com
You might be interested in this:

https://book.serversforhackers.com/

Anthony

Derek

Jun 3, 2015, 11:53:15 AM6/3/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
Take a look at OpenShift by Redhat, they do good work. GAE is another PaaS. GAE is probably a good bet, as they also have a key-value store you can use, which you'll need once your site starts scaling outwards unless you store sessions in the database.

António Ramos

Jun 4, 2015, 5:02:19 AM6/4/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
My choice

webfaction

They have a script to install web2py with apache and you can deploy many apps without knowing "shi*" about server administration.
Also automatic https access

Also they know about web2py so they can help you in some way.

Just 20 usd /month

Go for it!!

--
Resources: