What is the web2py team's future commitment to FastCGI ?

rober...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2013, 6:30:34 PM8/12/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Until 2 days ago, I was undecided about which framework to use : web2py or Django.
But the following linked topic in the Django Dvelopers Google Group was an eyeopener, and made me cross Django off my list :
They have started deprecating FastCGI support in favour of uWSGI.

So this leaves web2py on my list. But I would like to know if FastCGI will still be supported for at least 5+ years or so.

Additional info for my reason to ask this question :
I have a job board script developed over the past 10 years in PHP with help of some Zend Framework modules (e.g. ZendFeed).
I'm about to start a second complete re-write, with the objective of selling copies this time. I anticipate that most buyers will be on shared hosting (small agencies, maybe also one-man-bands).
This rewrite can either be in PHP or Python. I have a preference for Python now (which I started learning 4 years ago by writing tools for 3D programs, but nothing web app related).
It shouldn't matter really. What matters though, is that I cannot tell these companies/people to buy VPS or dedicated hosting because the framework I chose doesn't support their shared hosting plan.

Massimo Di Pierro

Aug 13, 2013, 10:14:09 AM8/13/13
to web...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, 12 August 2013 17:30:34 UTC-5, rober...@gmail.com wrote:
Until 2 days ago, I was undecided about which framework to use : web2py or Django.
But the following linked topic in the Django Dvelopers Google Group was an eyeopener, and made me cross Django off my list :
They have started deprecating FastCGI support in favour of uWSGI.

So this leaves web2py on my list. But I would like to know if FastCGI will still be supported for at least 5+ years or so.

Yes. Guaranteed.

Additional info for my reason to ask this question :
I have a job board script developed over the past 10 years in PHP with help of some Zend Framework modules (e.g. ZendFeed).
I'm about to start a second complete re-write, with the objective of selling copies this time. I anticipate that most buyers will be on shared hosting (small agencies, maybe also one-man-bands).
This rewrite can either be in PHP or Python. I have a preference for Python now (which I started learning 4 years ago by writing tools for 3D programs, but nothing web app related).
It shouldn't matter really. What matters though, is that I cannot tell these companies/people to buy VPS or dedicated hosting because the framework I chose doesn't support their shared hosting plan.

What I do is buy one VPS and have one web2py installation run all my applications. This is something Django cannot do because Django supports only one project per installation. Web2py unlimited.

You can run it on shared hosting if web2py runs in proxy mode or FastCGI mode. I never do this because I want more control.

Massimo

rober...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2013, 11:11:55 AM8/13/13
Then it's going to be a rewrite in Python + Web2Py. :) :) :)

And yes, I also use VPS and VM for development and personally. But I just cannot expect that from others.

Thanks for the quick response.
Robert