All SOAPed up

Dave S

Aug 21, 2013, 2:58:36 PM8/21/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to the web2py crew, I have a (simple) SOAP server running.  The book and this group were excellent resources for getting started.

I began my foray into the world of SOAP with a SUDS client to talk to an existing server (part of a physical device from Universal Devices,Inc), but in researching that I had also seen the pysimplesoap web pages, and when I needed to make an event logger, I went back there which led to web2py, and after reading the introduction and the quick start examples, I was able to get the SoapAdder example going.   The recent post (Jun 18 2013) on WSDLs helped, also.

Then I worked on the DB for the logging function, and that was quick to do.  I ran into one issue when trying to access the logging function from clients ... the pysimplesoap client worked fine, but the SUDS client wasn't seeing the new function, until I changed "//127.0.0.1" to "//localhost" in the URL the client was using.  Turns out SUDS likes to cache WSDL, default of 1 day.

I have also used a simple Java client to talk to my SOAP server successfully.

I need to add auth to the server, but reading chapter 9 after doing the auth example in the quick start examples, I think that should be easy enough for this use.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is if web2py has logging of its activity (startup, requests seen, etc) other than what I might record in my app's DB.

This looks like a pretty active group, and since I've enjoyed working with web2py so far, I expect to spend a lot more time reading here.

Thanks!

/dps

Dave S

Aug 21, 2013, 3:28:48 PM8/21/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I also wanted to note that during my experiments, when restarting web2py (I shut it down the night before), I got the error message:

   ERROR:Rocket.Errors.Port8000:Socket 10.3.xxx.134:8000 in use by other process and it won't share.

This was a bit confusing, as I couldn't see what process was using port 8000 (using netstat), but I finally figured out that the real problem was that the machine's IP had changed to 10.3.xxx.73.  Correcting the -i argument fixed things.

("machine" in this case happens to be a VM, but that wasn't important compared to what the DNS server was doing.)

/dps

Dave S

Sep 12, 2013, 9:30:01 PM9/12/13
to web...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:58:36 AM UTC-7, Dave S wrote:
One thing I haven't figured out yet is if web2py has logging of its activity (startup, requests seen, etc) other than what I might record in my app's DB.

Finally looked a second time at Chapter 14, and found the httpserver.log description.

Thanks again for a great tool!

/dps

Dave S

Sep 17, 2013, 1:38:48 PM9/17/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:30:01 PM UTC-7, Dave S wrote:

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:58:36 AM UTC-7, Dave S wrote:
One thing I haven't figured out yet is if web2py has logging of its activity (startup, requests seen, etc) other than what I might record in my app's DB.

Finally looked a second time at Chapter 14, and found the httpserver.log description.

Just checking ... this is compatible with logrotate , correct?

/dps