Fwd: (DRAFT) Beta Launch of Cloud Developmet Platform with Support for PY4WEB, WEB2PY, EMMETT and others

Kevin Keller

May 10, 2024, 4:31:08 PMMay 10
to web2py-users, py4web
Hello everyone,

We (John and I)  would like to invite you to try our Cloud Development Platform, which we call WEBSSON,  which lets you create PY4WEB, WEB2PY and EMMETT environments fully hosted in the Cloud in a matter of clicks and use a Cloud based developer workspace for code editing such as with VSCode in one go.

You can of course also create fully hosted databases and other things in the same environment as well.

We saw the popularity of Pythonanywhere here, but thought we can do something better and after almost 2 years of development we are finally ready to do a soft launch / beta programme to get your feedback.

15_create_env_finish.png

Videos how to do those things will be uploaded next week here:

Other programming languages and frameworks are also supported (Django, Flask, FastAPI, Angular, Vue.JS, Laravel, Spring Boot, Ruby on Rails etc.) and you can also use the programming languages we currently support (Python, PHP, Java, Node, Ruby)  without a framework pre-installed and install your own framework.

For example installing Python with a Jupyter notebook or VSCode without a web framework is also possible in order to create a quick online REPL to try out some code.

In any case, Python with PY4WEB, WEB2PY and EMMETT are "first class citizens" here obviously.

Feel free to create a separate Vue.JS project for example though and connect your Vue.JS project with a PY4WEB backend API for example.

Since this is a beta release, you may find some typos or you may even encounter a bug here and there, please let us know what happened or your general thoughts.

Other features include:
  • Shell access with the ability to use Conda for custom Python interpreter installation and packages available from PyPi and Condaforge. Conda is provided via Mamba.
  • This way you can also install your own custom Python framework / API if you like.
  • Collaboration / Safe Code Sharing support:
  • You can safely isolate folders that contain your code and share them with other developers which will have their VSCode or Jupyter IDEs to work with you on a project at the same time without exposing any or your other project code. This is also especially useful if you are a professor or teacher.
  • Hosted SQL/NoSQL database support
  •  (PostgreSQL, SQlite, MariaDB, MySQL, FerretDB[MongoDB drop in], CouchDB, Redis). Redis hosting offering will be replaced with the Valkey Redis fork however next week due to the same license restrictions introduced that forces us to offer a MongoDB drop in replacement FerretDB.
  • Hosted database admin interfaces such as PHPMyAdmin, PGAdmin, RedisCommaner, Mongo Express
  • Internet traffic is unrestricted and not metered (we will likely have to meter traffic in the future to scale though). So you can also connect to other PaaS databases or APIs as you see fit as well.
  • Hosted VSCode and/or Jupyter notebook with unlimited terminal support
  • SSH access support so you can connect with VSCode or PyCharm desktop applications to edit your code or use your own SSH terminal.
  • Ability to add additional HTTP user / password or take your web site offline
  • Standalone Web terminal
  • Custom Domain(s) support
  • Ability to add additional web workers / instances for scalability with the click of a button
  • Ability to define a specific Py4Web / Web2py app as default home page / index page
  • 5GB of storage in the lowest tier

You can try everything free of charge as listed with a 30 day free trial.

The lowest tier provides everything listed above on a 5 Euros / Dollars monthly subscription.

At the moment the only supported hostling location is in Falkenstein / Germany.

However, we will be able to support different locations and Cloud Service Providers down the line. Let us know which locations and / or Cloud providers would be interesting.

John and I have been rather silent in the last 1-2 years due us working furious on this and are now excited to the progress we have made so far with you.

Us being part of the PY4WEB / WEB2PY community means we want to provide first class support for those frameworks including the EMMETT framework and thus want to launch our beta with you.

We are also considering to focus on the academic and university use cases and to further extend the support for safe code sharing and collaboration at scale.

So we would be especially interested in your feedback around that.

Anyone interested in a close collaboration or wants to try special use cases or has any interesting ideas, we are all ears.

For those you want to collaborate and get closely involved to do some long term Beta testing  can obviously expect to use the service free of charge.

The service can also be to be deployed on-premise or we are also open to create dedicated private Cloud deployments with source code access in both cases for review or customizations.

There is still a lot of work to be done to fine tune things and testing before we can do a public release, but your feedback and support will help us get us there.

We will also be posting updates in new features and improvements in the various channels.

We have a Discord server here:

A Google Group here:

YouTube Channel:

Reddit: