DAL Function in select

art...@xs4all.nl

Feb 4, 2014, 9:47:56 AM2/4/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
How can we make this to work:

group = math.floor(x/25)

rows = db("table").select(group, y, groupby = group)

The above throws an exeption: funtion has no attribute type.

Ultimately we would like to group on a numeric value that is in a range. e.g. group the records for x >0 and <500 and for x >500 and <1000 etc.

Thnx
Arthur

Tim Richardson

Feb 6, 2014, 5:53:28 AM2/6/14
I think I replied to another post of yours, same topic.

This won't work because select sends SQL to a database server, and this is where grouping happens, yet math.floor() is Python, not SQL.
Use the book to read about executesql and use it send SQL to your server; you will still gets rows back.

The DAL is clever, but it doesn't translate Python math functions into the equivalent of your backend server's SQL syntax.