[RFC] We need a unique resource for packages

Alan Etkin

Jan 10, 2014, 9:31:18 AM1/10/14
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
We actually have one, web2pyslices, although it just stores a few projects, probably because users are not interested in updating the project information anythere else but in github or whatever repository. For old projects, appliances, etc., we would need to move the relevant resources to web2pyslices so it is more easy to search for them.

The real issue is that users keep coding more or less the same feature with different names periodically and it is (do I need to say this?) a waste of time. We have 3 or more cms, at least two enhanced admin applications. It may be that the developer knows beforehand he is reinventing the wheel, sometimes clearly not.

My proposal is that we oficially (in docs, etc) start encouraging users to post their open source packages in a standard way, so their work can be found using some criteria and enhance the current database app (web2pyslices and its packages api) or else we rely in a another system for the same task.

Niphlod

Jan 10, 2014, 9:54:05 AM1/10/14
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
+1