web2pyslices tools repository

Alan Etkin

Jun 21, 2013, 7:42:52 PM6/21/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Can anybody test this work-in-progress feature for web2pyslices?

http://spametki.dyndns.org:8000/web2pyslices

So far we have:

- A new tool search item added to the navbar (wow!)
- Article-like tool new/edit/show table/forms (how do you like that). They hopefully implement almost everything Anthony suggested (i.e. repo/license info)
- JSON actions for tool search and tool details. Now we need the admin app tools controller.

Try the following for a sample of the mini-api:

http://spametki.dyndns.org:8000/web2pyslices/slice/search.json?content_type_identifier=Tool&q=s
http://spametki.dyndns.org:8000/web2pyslices/slice/show.json/4

Anthony

Jun 21, 2013, 11:26:16 PM6/21/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Looks good, though do you plan to keep the name "Tool" and make a distinction between that and a "Slice" (i.e., in the search box)? If the new type is intended for posting any code repository (e.g., application, framework, plugin, module, utility, etc.), a better label might be something with a broader meaning, such as "Code" or "Package". Also, everything on the site should be considered a "Slice", so there shouldn't be a distinction between "Package" and "Slice". Instead, Recipe, Article, Question, and Package should be considered types of slices -- so for search, you should either be able to search across all slice types, or restrict the search to a single type. So, we have:

Slices:
  • Question
  • Recipe: Some code example or instructions, but not a formal package or repository.
  • Package: A repository containing an app, plugin, framework, module, utility, etc.
  • Article: Anything that isn't one of the above three.
What do you think?

Anthony

Massimo DiPierro

Jun 22, 2013, 2:50:53 AM6/22/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
fantastic. It seems very slow to load but could be my fault. I am in Italy.

Alan Etkin

Jun 22, 2013, 8:22:52 AM6/22/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
It seems very slow to load but could be my fault. I am in Italy.

Sorry for the slow site. It's behind my adsl service (with very low bandwidth, so be patient :/). Perhaps I can apply the changes to a dev app in pythonanywhere so you can check the code also.

Looks good, though do you plan to keep the name "Tool" and make a distinction between that and a "Slice" (i.e., in the search box)?

For the app database side a Tool is a content type the same as with Article, Question, etc., as Anthony noted. I wanted to highlight the tool search capability for the users. Anyway, it's just a matter of removing that dropbox item and users can search for projects inside the slice search page.

If the new type is intended for posting any code repository (e.g., application, framework, plugin, module, utility, etc.), a better label might be something with a broader meaning, such as "Code" or "Package".

Yes, I also think that tool is not the better name. I like packages. If everybody agrees i'll apply that name.

The search action is still very simple. I want to add support for a subset of possible query filters: package type, date boundaries, license and qualifications (aprooved, ...)

What about project activity? The show project action could dinamically retrieve project changes/commits making requests to pypi/mercurial apis, but unless the app collects project data periodically (for example using the scheduler) it cannot store those changes in the db and filter packages using the collected data. Enybody interested in adding that feature?

Alan Etkin

Jun 22, 2013, 6:47:24 PM6/22/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
It seems very slow to load but could be my fault. I am in Italy.

Still the same features as posted before but now available at http://www.web2pyslices.com/dev in case anyone wants to check the source code.

BTW: Given that the site is being enhanced maybe it can be upgraded to the last stable framework version too (currently it has 1.99.7).

Anthony

Jun 22, 2013, 7:49:44 PM6/22/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Looking good. Do you plan to include Recipe and Question types as well, as on the current site?

Alan Etkin

Jun 22, 2013, 7:58:26 PM6/22/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Looking good. Do you plan to include Recipe and Question types as well, as on the current site?

Sure thing, it's just that I didn't clone the original db for development, so the other content types are not defined.

Niphlod

Aug 15, 2013, 9:28:39 AM8/15/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan, given that no plans are there for refactoring web2py.com/plugins, could you please add something that leads to the packages list on www.web2pyslices.com/home ?
I'm thinking about that with 2.6.0 we should drop the web2py.com/plugins link from admin to link to web2pyslices.com, but right now the only way I found is to go to the home page and click on more and click on package...something like  www.web2pyslices.com/home?packages=1 would be totally ok.

Alan Etkin

Aug 17, 2013, 10:42:19 AM8/17/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan, given that no plans are there for refactoring web2py.com/plugins, could you please add something that leads to the packages list on www.web2pyslices.com/home ?
I'm thinking about that with 2.6.0 we should drop the web2py.com/plugins link from admin to link to web2pyslices.com, but right now the only way I found is to go to the home page and click on more and click on package...something like  www.web2pyslices.com/home?packages=1 would be totally ok.

ok

Alan Etkin

Aug 17, 2013, 12:02:31 PM8/17/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Made two tweaks:
- Added two items to the max content type shown, so now you can click on Packages without the more thing.
- .../home?content_type=Package (or Article, etc). Note the capitalized content names.

Niphlod

Aug 17, 2013, 2:30:49 PM8/17/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
it works, but if I reach http://www.web2pyslices.com/home?content_type=Package I see two recipes on top that shouldn't belong there.... if instead I reach home and then click to Package, the list is loaded fine
( it's a call to http://www.web2pyslices.com/slice/list.load?content_type_id=4 )

@Massimo: as soon as this glitch is resolved, would you:
- upload all supported "old" plugins to web2pyslices.com
- modify web2py.com/plugins to redirect to http://www.web2pyslices.com/home?content_type=Package
?
If you need any help please ask.

Alan Etkin

Aug 17, 2013, 3:22:57 PM8/17/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
it works, but if I reach http://www.web2pyslices.com/home?content_type=Package I see two recipes on top that shouldn't belong there.... if instead I reach home and then click to Package, the list is loaded fine

My bad. My change only sets the item selection but should also load the filtered list.

Alan Etkin

Aug 17, 2013, 3:53:55 PM8/17/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com

My bad. My change only sets the item selection but should also load the filtered list.

Ok. Now I tested it and it's ok, really :P

Niphlod

Aug 17, 2013, 8:13:35 PM8/17/13
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Perrrfect...... thanks a lot.