Full Bootstrap Support

lpg

Oct 4, 2012, 11:57:08 AM10/4/12
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com, Eddy Subratha, nanu.c...@gmail.com, ondoe...@gmail.com, gilang...@gmail.com, the.t...@gmail.com, Andreas AK, Andrei Anton, Paolo Caruccio, Massimo Di Pierro, Jeremy Dillworth
Hi everyone, I wanted to continue the discussion on bootstrap compatibility.

Some very talented (and generous) designers on Wrapbootstrap.com have agreed volunteer some time on this challenge. I am very grateful, and I think we should welcome them to this forum. I hope more experienced web2py devs can be patient and explain the tricks to the web2py templating to the newcomers. It's our chance to share the framework to a wider audience.

I suggest we have a small task-force to implement the final touches: form validation, form buttons, tables, responsive css, etc. Perhaps we can set a goal to port the "admin app" design to have full bootstrap support. In the process, we will have all the components we need for welcome, appadmin, admin .

To kick it off, checkout what Eddy has been working on, attached here. I think its a great start. Can we get some feedback?

Best,
Lucas
Example Template for WEB2PY Framework Admin - Eddy Subratha.pdf

Jeremy Dillworth

Oct 5, 2012, 12:30:39 PM10/5/12
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
I, for one, would really like to see the default admin app look like the attached.

Also, having some good themes that work "out of the box" with web2py would be very valuable.

Jeremy

Massimo DiPierro

Oct 5, 2012, 12:38:05 PM10/5/12
to lpg, web2py-d...@googlegroups.com, Eddy Subratha, nanu.c...@gmail.com, ondoe...@gmail.com, gilang...@gmail.com, the.t...@gmail.com, Andreas AK, Andrei Anton, Paolo Caruccio, Jeremy Dillworth
Hello Lucas,

I like it. The point is how does the code looks like? Can this be made work without injecting classes in the web2py source code? How easy would it be for users to tweak and apply styles (for example bootswatch styles or others)? How does it affect the learning curve for new users?

I would love to see the source code and give it a try.

How about, as an intermediate goal, we don't try rewrite admin on top of bootstrap. We have less constraints there. There the priority is only "look as good as possible". I would preserve some of the artwork, but not the html and css.

Massimo
> <Example Template for WEB2PY Framework Admin - Eddy Subratha.pdf>

szimszon

Oct 5, 2012, 2:07:38 PM10/5/12
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com, Eddy Subratha, nanu.c...@gmail.com, ondoe...@gmail.com, gilang...@gmail.com, the.t...@gmail.com, Andreas AK, Andrei Anton, Paolo Caruccio, Massimo Di Pierro, Jeremy Dillworth
Is there a bit too much wasted space between elements?

Lucas Geiger

Oct 5, 2012, 2:19:08 PM10/5/12
to Massimo DiPierro, web2py-d...@googlegroups.com, Eddy Subratha, nanu.c...@gmail.com, ondoe...@gmail.com, gilang...@gmail.com, the.t...@gmail.com, Andreas AK, Andrei Anton, Paolo Caruccio, Jeremy Dillworth
My Thought is that we have some gaps in the implementation of
bootstrap. This push is an opportunity to get two birds with one
stone.
I think there are a couple different skill sets necessary to pull this
off. Perhaps after the html was finalised by a group of designers, a
more experienced web2py dev could integrate it?
Jeremy is good at that kind of thing :)

Cheers,
Lucas Geiger

Massimo DiPierro

Oct 5, 2012, 5:10:36 PM10/5/12
to Paolo Caruccio, Lucas Geiger, web2py-d...@googlegroups.com, Eddy Subratha, nanu.c...@gmail.com, ondoe...@gmail.com, gilang...@gmail.com, the.t...@gmail.com, Andreas AK, Andrei Anton, Jeremy Dillworth
I like this a lot.

On Oct 5, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Paolo Caruccio wrote:

I'm working on porting admin interface on top of bootstrap preserving the existing framework
The development stage is "draft". I finished following pages: login, site.

@Massimo
Can this be made work without injecting classes in the web2py source code?

Currently  I modified:
admin/views/layout.html
admin/views/default/index.html
admin/views/default/site.html
admin/static/js/web2py.js (flash message box)
admin/models/buttons.py (only added bootstrap class selectors)
admin/controllers/default.py  (only added bootstrap class selectors)

and added

admin/static/css/bootstrap_essentials.css
admin/static/css/bootstrap_adapters.css
admin/static/jmages/menu_responsive.png

+ ,of course, bootstrap files

I hope that this changes should be acceptable.

I splitted the css code in 2 files (bootstrap_essentials, bootstrap_adapters) because my goals are:

to maintain backward compatibility (admin interface will work alse with original file styles.css alone)
to build a simple bootstrap look and feel layout (by adding bootstrap files and bootstrap_essentials.css) working without other css files and so compatible with bootswatch customizations
to port admin interface on top of bootstrap preserving the artwork (by adding bootstrap_adapters.css)

I think to provide a more complete draft of the code in the few next weeks.

Lucas Geiger

Oct 5, 2012, 5:16:22 PM10/5/12
to Massimo DiPierro, Paolo Caruccio, web2py-d...@googlegroups.com, Eddy Subratha, nanu.c...@gmail.com, ondoe...@gmail.com, gilang...@gmail.com, the.t...@gmail.com, Andreas AK, Andrei Anton, Jeremy Dillworth
Paolo, it looks great.
Can you list here what are the gaps with the implementation so that
people might help out or help test?

What bootstrap features are missing and you need help with?

Good work,
LG

Martín Mulone

Oct 15, 2012, 1:28:30 PM10/15/12