[OS] weppy templating engine is now a separated package

Giovanni Barillari

Dec 2, 2019, 8:03:03 AM12/2/19
to web2py-developers
Hi all,
it's been a while since my last post here, and I feel quite bad about that.

Last couple of years were a bit disappointing about my presence in the Open Source scene, I had quite a rough years out there. But, good news: I'm getting back aiming to be more present.
During the last months I've started moving weppy to the async environment, and I took change to split the templating engine to a separate package.

I noticed web2py is trying to make the same with YATL, and since I don't really know about plans and future of the framework, I just thought it might be useful for you guys to have something ready out there, even for comparison.
The new package is named Renoir, and it's available under the new github organization I planned to use for the future of weppy (now named Emmett), you can take a look at it here: https://github.com/emmett-framework/renoir

Mind that Renoir is Python3 only, and requires Python >= 3.6
It's still missing documentation, but the advantage over the bundled version in weppy is the support for extensions (see for example the Haml one: https://github.com/gi0baro/renoir-haml) and the customization of lexers (see Emmett implementation here https://github.com/emmett-framework/emmett/blob/master/emmett/templating/lexers.py).

I really don't know if it might be useful for web2py or anything regarding the community, but as usual I try to give back the code I write when it came from the web2py project.

Let me know what do you think,
I'm at your disposal.

Cheers

Massimo DiPierro

Dec 2, 2019, 10:12:09 AM12/2/19
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Web2py is moving to py4web.com could use your advice. Will look closer into Emmett.