Challanges implementing Google Core Web Vitals for Single Page Application

Venkata Sandeep Govada

Jan 15, 2021, 1:48:31 PM1/15/21
to web-vital...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team,

Since google started CWV, we implemented a couple of suggestions that are straightforward.

But the main challenges we have in front is how to implement CWV for SPA that was built on Angular (www.bkstr.com)

I came to know from summit videos that www.prismamedia.com is a good example to validate CWV but when I run a report, they also struggle in the performance category. Do you have a real example site or blog that explains best practices for SPA?

And my second question, google bots are unable to execute javascript and serve the html, so we had to implement server side rendering, similar to angularUniversal.

So for CWV based on user-agent can we serve the html? not angular version. Will it be a problem?

--
Thanks & Regards,
Venkata Sandeep Govada

Follow Me:

Michal Mocny

Jan 18, 2021, 9:56:31 AM1/18/21
to Venkata Sandeep Govada, Philip Walton, web-vital...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 1:48 PM Venkata Sandeep Govada <sandee...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Team,

Hello!

Since google started CWV, we implemented a couple of suggestions that are straightforward.

But the main challenges we have in front is how to implement CWV for SPA that was built on Angular (www.bkstr.com)

May I clarify what you mean by "how to implement"?  Are you trying to measure CWV in RUM yourself, or just trying to diagnose and improve your metrics?

I came to know from summit videos that www.prismamedia.com is a good example to validate CWV but when I run a report, they also struggle in the performance category. Do you have a real example site or blog that explains best practices for SPA?

And my second question, google bots are unable to execute javascript and serve the html, so we had to implement server side rendering, similar to angularUniversal.

I am not directly familiar with google bot but I wanted to say 2 things:
  1. Googlebot certainly can execute JavaScript and can index SPA sites client-side, but it depends on how you do your linking and routing, etc.  You can probably start exploring at the Search guide for JavaScript SEO basics.
  2. More importantly: CWV are not measured by Googlebot, they are measured in the field (via RUM).

So for CWV based on user-agent can we serve the html? not angular version. Will it be a problem?

If you are asking about Googlebot -- that's not how it works, and so it won't be a problem.

However, perhaps you are asking about testing your CWV using lab tools (something like the lab section of PageSpeed Insights, or WebPageTest)?  There are a bunch of reasons why lab testing is limited for CWV, but serving an alternative version of your website would make results even less useful.  (It is only a problem for your own diagnostics.)

Hopefully the web.dev article on web-vitals (especially the section on tooling) or the best practices guide could help.

Good Luck!

--
Thanks & Regards,
Venkata Sandeep Govada