INP and Network Request

Kevin Farrugia

Jun 17, 2022, 4:28:50 AM6/17/22
to web-vitals-feedback
Hi All,

In the video example on https://web.dev/inp/ the responsiveness (or lack of) is demonstrated with a thumbnail, which when clicked updates the main image of the gallery.

On the left, responsiveness is poor because the image has to be downloaded before it is displayed, which involves a considerable delay.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, I think using this example is misleading since INP does not take into consideration delays in updating the UI caused by network delays. If the main thread is not blocked, but is idle while waiting for the network to respond, then there is no INP recorded.

I tried to recreate a similar scenario to confirm this: https://inp-demo-kevinfarrugia.vercel.app/carousel

Thank you.

Kevin Farrugia

Jun 17, 2022, 5:39:05 AM6/17/22
to web-vitals-feedback
Added a better/cleaner example for the gallery: https://inp-demo-kevinfarrugia.vercel.app/gallery

One when submitting a form (same concept, waiting for network): https://inp-demo-kevinfarrugia.vercel.app/client

Philip Walton

Jul 12, 2022, 12:58:25 PM7/12/22
to Kevin Farrugia, web-vitals-feedback
Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to let you know that Jeremy has made some updates to that INP metric doc, which includes a new video. Hopefully this helps reduce confusion.